Display Slow Queries & Performance Issues in admincp

Alpha1

It would be very valuable for the XenForo addon scene if every install of xenforo would have the function to display slow queries to the admin. It would show the admin that users are experiencing slow loading pages and therefore they can act upon it, by:
  • Reporting slow Queries to the addon developer
  • Reporting hosting issues to the host
The report would need to include the stack trace as well as a few server configuration specifications, so that when the report is useful to to admin, host and the addon developer.
The reports could show in the same way as errors. In this case there would need to be a setting to ignore performance reports.

This would mean that developers are alerted much quicker about performance issues. And therefore it would also be easier for us to spot problematic addons.

Overall this would lead to higher quality standards for XenForo addons.

Upvote 44
Additionally it would also be useful to display if an addon is creating a lot of queries on a page.

For example if you install an addon and it adds 500 queries to forum index, then this is really bad news. But most admins will not look for this. It would be great to be alerted about such problem.

Which may be easy to get if you have access to the server and the knowledge how to get the logs. Most admin have neither, so not superfluous at all.
By that logic the entire server environment panel in ACP is superfluous because you know there are logs that show all that info. :rolleyes:

I manage and run all my servers and would love to see a consolidated performance view in ACP.

Agreed, it is not superfluous and would be a welcomed addition.

The point of this suggestion is to bring potential problems to the attention of the administrator within the XF admin panel. If such potential problems become visible to the average admin, then this will allow admins to inform developers of such issues. This IMHO is to the benefit of the quality of 3rd party addons.

The point of this suggestion is to bring potential problems to the attention of the administrator within the XF admin panel. If such potential problems become visible to the average admin, then this will allow admins to inform developers of such issues. This IMHO is to the benefit of the quality of 3rd party addons.
Developers do not care about the quality of add-ons if they do not violate standards. If you violate the standards then yes it excites. Even if the add-ons break the forum components and the most important ones up to caching, it doesn't matter to them.
Even developers have problems with their gallery and its slow requests, and this is not fixed, and at the moment it will be problematic to fix it. If someday the creation of the request is corrected, then yes, and the slow request is corrected.
By that logic the entire server environment panel in ACP is superfluous because you know there are logs that show all that info. :rolleyes:

I manage and run all my servers and would love to see a consolidated performance view in ACP. I'm all for shortcuts and visibility.
This is very controversial and many will not master. Sales are needed, an ordinary user will not write SQL queries to add the same node and more. Write requests for an error log and more.
Specifically, with the database management system, it has a special file that stores all the necessary information and is archived every day.
Making out of the box is a very strange idea. What for? if I can display the entire log in 2 requests on the server.
To make a special journal for this, to drive requests to check them is also expensive by resources and save to some sort of table. Very little utility

Developers do not care about the quality of add-ons if they do not violate standards. If you violate the standards then yes it excites. Even if the add-ons break the forum components and the most important ones up to caching, it doesn't matter to them.
The resource standards include several rules in regards to queries and query count.
Resource Standards said:
  • Queries must scale well and must avoid a situation that would increase the query count unexpectedly.

Asides from that, its simply useful for admins to know. After all, slow webpages are bad for search engine ranking and user engagement. Its easy to understand for admins that slowly loading pages are bad and such issues need to be addressed by uninstalling addons which cause this. Until a fix is released.

The resource standards include several rules in regards to queries and query count.
This standard leash speaks of an attempt to prevent this and no more.

Asides from that, its simply useful for admins to know. After all, slow webpages are bad for search engine ranking and user engagement. Its easy to understand for admins that slowly loading pages are bad and such issues need to be addressed by uninstalling addons which cause this. Until a fix is released.
If the page loads slowly, then the person is already beginning to analyze why and begins to look for the root of the problem. Disables add-ons and more. In which case, it turns to the hoster and solves these problems and finds why. If you are your own boss then yes it’s easier. Of course there are poor-quality hosting, with terrible technical support. But if the add-on creates it, it will immediately be visible after its installation. In addition, the engine itself creates thousands of requests when installing the add-on, when the same XenForo 1 did not have such a problem. And in some moments regression with 1 engine branch is noticed. According to the code, yes it became much higher.

Most hosts have 0 insight into which addon creates queries. They will just say its your forum install causing this and that is the end of it. thats why its so important to have a host that specializes in XF.
If the page loads slowly, then the person is already beginning to analyze why and begins to look for the root of the problem.
I do not agree with that assumption. Most people don't track page loading times, nor do they even know where to begin looking for query run time.

I do not agree with that assumption. Most people don't track page loading times, nor do they even know where to begin looking for query run time.

I see displaying the slow queries the same as displaying the server error log. Sure it is available on the server, but most admins will not check it, so displaying it in the ACP allows admins to quickly identify an issue.

Most hosts have 0 insight into which addon creates queries. They will just say its your forum install causing this and that is the end of it. thats why its so important to have a host that specializes in XF.

What is it like? The page is loaded in 1 time interval and then it began to load slowly. And you want to say that a person will not have questions why? Let us return again to the number of requests. The number is not always an indicator, there may be more requests, but it can be completed faster than for 1 or more difficult ones. Here, too, you need to take everything into account correctly. When broken down into a smaller query, it can have a positive effect on performance.

And you want to say that a person will not have questions why?
Exactly. You are looking at it from the viewpoint of a developer. The viewpoint of a non-technical admin is different. The average admin never uses debug mode. Never looks at queries. Never looks at the server logs. Don't know if a change in page loading speed is caused by the server or the software. If the XF admin doesn't alert about a (potential) problem then they are not aware of it or can only hire someone to look at it.

And even for a tech savvy admin, it would be mighty handy to have the information available. I sure am not going to inspect every page for slow queries every time I install an update. I'm much too lazy and busy for that. I sure would like to receive an alert if something I install adds 500 queries to forum index or 1500ms extra loading time to my home page. Those examples may seem like ridiculous numbers, but its not made up. It happens.

Top Bottom