Discouraged Users

Hmm,

As a community dude myself, the thought that someone whom develops community software, building in features to abuse members of a community seems obtuse. On the whole, do no evil scale, for me, the whole idea goes against a few basic principles. Mostly.
  • Avoiding the truth indicates a lack of commitment.
Not being honest with the people whom attempt to disrupt you is itself, dishonest. If you as a community manager are not commity to honesty and ethics. Well, that's another discussion I suppose.

I understand that we should not let people abuse us or our communities, but that we should refrain from trying to get even when someone invariably does.

That's just my own opinion.

I see no ethical problem with using it on someone who was banned and keeps coming back under a new name. They aren't supposed to be able to view the site in the first place, so making it difficult to view the site isn't taking anything away from them that they didn't already lose.

If you don't need it, don't use it then.

Those of us who have people creating accounts on our forums just to cause problems have a use for this feature. I haven't switched to XenForo yet, but great little features like these are helping me make up my mind to do so.

If you don't need it, don't use it then.

Those of us who have people creating accounts on our forums just to cause problems have a use for this feature. I haven't switched to XenForo yet, but great little features like these are helping me make up my mind to do so.
You realise this isn't a XenForo exclusive feature right?

You realise this isn't a XenForo exclusive feature right?

Yeah I know, I have the same feature on my vb forums, but it's nice to have extra features that are included in the actual forum instead of being modded in.

edit: I was addressing Shelby's post, which seems to suggest that a feature like this shouldn't be included.

Hmm,

As a community dude myself, the thought that someone whom develops community software, building in features to abuse members of a community seems obtuse. On the whole, do no evil scale, for me, the whole idea goes against a few basic principles. Mostly.
  • Avoiding the truth indicates a lack of commitment.
Not being honest with the people whom attempt to disrupt you is itself, dishonest. If you as a community manager are not commity to honesty and ethics. Well, that's another discussion I suppose.

I understand that we should not let people abuse us or our communities, but that we should refrain from trying to get even when someone invariably does.

That's just my own opinion.
What are your views on Tachy in vB then? Similar?

I find it odd that the developers spent time and resources adding this feature into the Beta and not an easy way of adding new BB Codes or the ability to upload Smilies or other features I'd consider fundamental/basic to forum administration. This was clearly a pet project, which is fine, but seems to go against the entire philosophy of keeping things simple.

I think it is an invaluable feature whether you like it or not, whether its ethical or not. If you just ban a user, he/she many times just registers again with different ID and do the same thing. So it could be useful in some situations.

Feature itself is not bad, its on Admin on how they use it, if you have a gun, that doesn't mean you have to shoot it every time and it also doesn't mean gun is a bad thing

Top Bottom