Discouraged Users

As far as I understand, the similar add-on created for other forum software solutions is extremely popular so all Mike & Kier have done is remove the need for a) someone to code it and b) forum owners to install it.

By that logic, I should be able to go to the list of add-ons on vBulletin.org, sorted by most installs, and expect to see the top modifications included in XenForo. Such is obviously not the case, so the fact that it's a popular feature really isn't a basis for including it.
There's nothing unprofessional about the feature being included into the core. This would be saying the banned usergroup feature (group) is unprofessional, block IP setting is unprofessional, banned e-mail addresses are unprofessional.

Now, I'm not trying to startle the bees in the hive, so to speak, but I just feel that the way this feature attempts to achieve its intended purpose is highly unprofessional and lacks all tact. The features you mentioned above are not unprofessional, because they are clean-cut and "cut right to the chase" by simply doing what they're intended to do: keep unwanted users out. The "discouraged users" feature, on the other hand, goes around the issue by mocking and teasing the user in hopes that they give up. There's a difference between keeping a user out and annoying them to the point where they give up. One is professional, the latter is not.

If my cousin who has a key to my house comes in everyday and carelessly trashes the place, leaving it in shambles, I'd want them out. I'm not going to build a maze around my property in hopes that they get frustrated and leave. I'm going to change my locks so their key no longer works.

Childish features don't belong in what is a professional, efficient product. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying that I'm going to boycott XenForo now because of this one feature; I'm merely noting that I was surprised to see such a controversial feature implemented.

This is a highly demanded feature that is welcomed by the customers, in turn giving them what they desire that in turn puts both a smile on the owners and customers face accomplishing that "customer satisfaction". Onto your analogy, how people use this feature on their own forums shouldn't be a concern of yours. It's a highly desirable feature that alot of customers won't have to worry about via upgrading had it been a 3rd party script.

Customer satisfaction accomplished. This doesn't distract xenforo from being an unprofessional product.

nick said:
so the fact that it's a popular feature really isn't a basis for including it.

Erm! then what could be the basis to include a add-on, i wonder!! :confused:

If miserable users is a default feature in XF!! its Mind-blowing!! It is perhaps one of the most important features i use in my forums. Keeps the forums friendly as the banned users does not realise what has befallen upon him/her and also regular members find it less intimidating...

unprofessional [...] unprofessional [...] professional [...] professional
What does that have to do with running a forum? Unless running the forum is your profession? I don't understand the use of "professional" in this argument. Very few of these (us) monkeys are professional forum operators.

I also don't understand why anyone would give a crap that a feature exists that they never intend to use. It's weird. Like cursing the television stations you don't watch and calling the cable provider unprofessional for including them in your package. "Why do you *******s insist on putting these music channels on my TV! I don't even like music! What kind of unprofessional outfit are you running over there! You could be using that space for channels I want!"

What does that have to do with running a forum? Unless running the forum is your profession? I don't understand the use of "professional" in this argument. Very few of these (us) monkeys are professional forum operators.
It has nothing to do with how we choose to run the forum. It's about the product. The product is expected to be a professional product. If I wanted a slipshod product and had little to no expectations, I'd have a teenage-codemonkey whip me up a forum in a few hours.

I'm baffled by how many of you think Nick is being so bizarre. It is unprofessional, whether "professional" is relevant to running a forum or not (which it should be). But like Nick said, it's not even about how you choose how to run your forum; it's about the product itself. I would expect to see this childish feature included in some no-name experimental forum script that someone has been developing as a hobby. Not in vBulletin, not in IPB, and not in XenForo (these are professional pieces of software, are they not?).

A ban is a ban. A temporary ban is a temporary ban. But what is this? Why would anyone (professional) want to torment an unwanted user in hopes to have them leave the forum, rather than banning them: the sure-fire way of dealing with the problem? The only answer I have is that they are 1) unprofessional and 2) immature, doing it for entertainment.

And someone said this feature has been included in XenForo because it was a popular add-on for other forum scripts. How is that at all a valid explanation for this? What about the add-ons that are even more popular?

Like Nick, I too am not going to throw XenForo out the window because of this one feature that can easily go without ever using. We're just saying we're baffled that this would exist by default (in a relatively polished piece of new software, needless to say).

The XenForo 'discourager', in the same way as 'Miserable Users', to which it clearly owes its existence is not supposed to be a way for site staff to 'tease' users. It has a very simple purpose, which is to convince trolling users to go elsewhere because of perceived ongoing technical problems with the site.

It's softer an more subtle than a ban, which has a very obvious and immediate effect on the offending user, who may respond to the ban by simply registering another account. As such, it is just another tool in the armoury for site administrators to use, and judging by the popularity of 'Miserable Users', a popular one at that.

Arguments that development time was wasted on producing this feature are frankly ridiculous. I wrote the code to support the discourager in a little more than an hour.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Others will, and it is for their convenience that the feature exists. I shall say no more on the matter.

The XenForo 'discourager', in the same way as 'Miserable Users', to which it clearly owes its existence is not supposed to be a way for site staff to 'tease' users. It has a very simple purpose, which is to convince trolling users to go elsewhere because of perceived ongoing technical problems with the site.

It's softer an more subtle than a ban, which has a very obvious and immediate effect on the offending user, who may respond to the ban by simply registering another account. As such, it is just another tool in the armoury for site administrators to use, and judging by the popularity of 'Miserable Users', a popular one at that.

Arguments that development time was wasted on producing this feature are frankly ridiculous. I wrote the code to support the discourager in a little more than an hour.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Others will, and it is for their convenience that the feature exists. I shall say no more on the matter.
I had just hoped that perhaps the way XenForo would convince its trolls to go elsewhere would be more sophisticated than the ham fisted methods of years past. For software that is supposed to be so much "better", I'm suprised this feature made it in. Just that I expected something better, something more professional.

I just hope that future XenForo development doesn't follow this type of laural development. Sure just because you did it a decade ago, doesn't mean it's a good idea today. I hope XenForo takes the opportunities afforded it, rather than settling into old habits.

I had just hoped that perhaps the way XenForo would convince its trolls to go elsewhere would be more sophisticated than the ham fisted methods of years past.
Unfortunately most trolls don't understand any other method and banning them outright is not the way to handle them, they just come back.

Just that I expected something better, something more professional.
Do you have better suggestion on how to "convince its trolls to go elsewhere"?

If so, I'm all ears. Dealing with trolls is a problem for many admin as long as forums exist. If we haven't found a more professional way to deal with it by now, why you expect to have something better, more professional.

Ok folks your bafflement, surprise, and disgust is duly noted.
The feature is there, it's not going anywhere, and you don't have to use it if you don't like it.

Move along now.

Ok folks your bafflement, surprise, and disgust is duly noted.
The feature is there, it's not going anywhere, and you don't have to use it if you don't like it.

Move along now.

Peggy, I'm so glad you popped up again. You just reminded me of a missing feature you've taught me about in the past. The ignore feature.

Professionalism completely aside, having this feature by default and not as an add-on feels out of place. In a good and non-lacking way, XenForo has only the bare minimum required to have a solid and very usable script in regards to the administrative control panel. You can edit the appearance, forum nodes, users, and settings of your board. Evidently, keeping it short and sweet in there is a great formula for functionality. Anything that we know as an add-on should remain an add-on unless it is somehow implemented into the core of the script (the "like button", for example). This feature feels like we're buying XenForo with the "discourager" mod pre-installed for us.

Just my other (totally different) take on it from the professionalism argument.

Top Bottom