discounts for students?

In my community, saying things like that is not good, it's disrespectful. Just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you have the right to belittle others for their poverty.
No, but the issue is... sometimes if you want to play in certain playgrounds, the equipment costs preclude that. It's not right/wrong.. it's simply life.

No, but the issue is... sometimes if you want to play in certain playgrounds, the equipment costs preclude that. It's not right/wrong.. it's simply life.
I don't understand what you mean. English is not my father language, please write in a formal and simple language structure.

I was only commenting on @dave3's words that were bolded.
Even the Pope will not receive a discount, and you, poor student, would like to get one? Shame on you...

In my community, saying things like that is not good, it's disrespectful. Just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you have the right to belittle others for their poverty.

My post was just an irony, I didn't mean to offend you. Just because I own XF license it doesn't make me wealthy. :rolleyes:

There is nothing like discount for XenForo. Some years ago, there was a day on you could buy XenForo a bit cheaper, but for now you can forget it. You can be student or somebody, who wants to help devs", you have to pay full price of it. Sad, but true.

If you are full time student, you can simply create your forum on phpBB3 that is free and open source and convert it into XenForo when you will have some income. In the other case, 160$ / 12 gives you 13$ per month, probably same money you pay for your mobile phone subscription. But this is only first year, then you will have to pay much less.

Last edited:
Note that XenForo licences can be sold once so you could buy one cheaper from a third party.

021 has just left XenForo maybe he'll sell you his. Or anyone else who no longer uses it.

We are living in different country. In my country, we have 'poor card'.
I think my point stands, though. You would expect a company with just a handful of employees to spend that much time determining all the ways people from this and that country can prove that they are poor, which includes having systems in place to ensure those "proofs" are not fake or that you are not simply using someone else's "poor card," or whatever else that passes for proof in other countries? I have to confess that in their place (Xenforo's) that is not a headache I would want to add to all my other headaches.

I think my point stands, though. You would expect a company with just a handful of employees to spend that much time determining all the ways people from this and that country can prove that they are poor, which includes having systems in place to ensure those "proofs" are not fake or that you are not simply using someone else's "poor card," or whatever else that passes for proof in other countries? I have to confess that in their place (Xenforo's) that is not a headache I would want to add to all my other headaches.
It's not my business whether the Xenforo team has the time or system to validate if a potential buyer is poor. And I don't care about that either. I'm just responding to words that demean others just because they ask for a discount.

I'm sick seeing how people from 'developed countries' interact with those from 'developing countries'. They feel much more educated and look down on others, yet they're so ignorant in Geography that they think Bali is a country.

It's not my business whether the Xenforo team has the time or system to validate if a potential buyer is poor. And I don't care about that either. I'm just responding to words that demean others just because they ask for a discount.

I'm sick seeing how people from 'developed countries' interact with those from 'developing countries'. They feel much more educated and look down on others, yet they're so ignorant in Geography that they think Bali is a country.
Bali is like a state of Indonesia. It's like Tasmania, which is the island down the bottom part of Australia. An island of indonesia.

No one was demeaning you, certainly not me. I was simply pointing out the fact that making income based exceptions for people across a thousand different countries, all with different laws and regulations, would be time consuming and costly, and if I was part of a small development team that was already having a difficult time staying on top of things I wouldn't want the added burden. If you find that demeaning, I'm sorry.

There's plenty of free ones around.

I'd say this - if you are just starting up a community there are several Open Source forum software offerings that will get you started. They aren't as good as Xenforo which is why we are all here, but if your community is a success you can easily migrate it onto XF once you can justify the licence fee.

It's easy to wish XF would run their business differently but if you look at the economics of it then you understand why they make the decisions they do.

Student versions make sense under two circumstances.
1) Universities require an XF license for each student and XF offers a watered-down version (MS Office Student/Teacher Edition)
2) XF becomes a platform students learn in college and their knowledge of it helps XF sell products (AutoCAD)

Neither one of the scenarios applies to XF. I am sure if every college student in the U.S. required a forum license then XF would offer a discounted version. They would probably love the sales dollars (14.2M Americans * $49.99 discounted price = $709M in revenue).

The reason why XF doesn't offer a discount, spent the last 3 years on cloud, and has not released 2.3 is because it was in their best financial interests.

I got second place in my school's Geography Bee when I was in 5th grade. I am still salty that I was beaten by a fourth grader. His name was Michael and I want a redo.

It's easy to wish XF would run their business differently but if you look at the economics of it then you understand why they make the decisions they do.
And (in this age of entitlement), nobody is entitled to a free/discounted license. There are already two easy choices. Pay for XF, or go with freeware. You get what you pay for with the freebie forum systems out there (been there, done that), but at least they get a community online.

And (in this age of entitlement), nobody is entitled to a free/discounted license. There are already two easy choices. Pay for XF, or go with freeware. You get what you pay for with the freebie forum systems out there (been there, done that), but at least they get a community online.
Keep in mind that there are discounted and free versions of software for students. Of course, this is done because students are required to use certain types of software in college, and allowing the student to use it at a discount or free will increase the change they use the software after college.

For example, I went to school for industrial engineering and received free versions of almost every piece of software required in my classes (AutoCAD, LINGO, JetBrains, etc. Of course, the hope from these vendors is that I use their software after college. Xenforo is not in that same situation because Xenforo is not required software for any student.

Keep in mind that there are discounted and free versions of software for students.
I had purchased two Office licenses through the college when I took a few courses--four years each for a cheap price. Didn't redeem the second license so, after four years, I entered the code and had another four cheap years. I only wish I had been able to get the whole Adobe suite back then.

I was mainly referring to XF. Larger software corporations can afford to give out student discounts. But a small, privately held company? I'd never assume they would offer it, nor would I demand it. I'm more the type who prefers supporting small businesses when I can.

I had purchased two Office licenses through the college when I took a few courses--four years each for a cheap price. Didn't redeem the second license so, after four years, I entered the code and had another four cheap years. I only wish I had been able to get the whole Adobe suite back then.

I was mainly referring to XF. Larger software corporations can afford to give out student discounts. But a small, privately held company? I'd never assume they would offer it, nor would I demand it. I'm more the type who prefers supporting small businesses when I can.
It has nothing to do with being a small business. LINDO Systems is probably smaller than Xenforo and still provides its software for free to students. The difference is Xenforo isn't used in schools or by a vast majority of companies that would hire recent college graduates. Companies that provide discounted or free software to students due it on the basis that by doing so they will increase revenue with future sales.

Top Bottom