• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Digital Point Ads

Dam Shawn... i think you should be working for a big company :D
Well that sounds just terrible. Some higher ups deciding what I need to work on? No thanks... Even if I was the higher up, I'd still hate it. I would get pissed when I had to tell people what to do. :)

Why work for a big company, have no say in what goes on and be paid less than he's worth.....when he can just own his own company and make all the loot :D

Great work on the ad system. So, this is totally managed on your end, right? Is there a 'referral' link/page or something else to help with advertisers that may want to advertise on our site (or similar ones)?
It's automatic without a special referral link. It knows that if your site is in the system as a publisher, it will prompt the end user on any subsequent page view until they dismiss it. For example, go to famousplastic.com, go to their advertising info page and then click the link to the DP Ads page and you should see it.

Well that sounds just terrible. Some higher ups deciding what I need to work on? No thanks... Even if I was the higher up, I'd still hate it. I would get pissed when I had to tell people what to do. :)

:( i mean your good at what you do :D

:( i mean your good at what you do :D
That is one way of putting it... :) Anal perfectionist is another. Lol I have literally spent days debugging complex CSS layout issues because one item was off by 1px and I couldn't let it go (no one else noticed). I also like to just go over code to figure out how I can make something 1ms faster. I'm terribly annoying to myself like that. Hah

that's why digitalpoint is what it is today, Shaw. If you are happy with things just working, it's a different story.

That is one way of putting it... :) Anal perfectionist is another. Lol I have literally spent days debugging complex CSS layout issues because one item was off by 1px and I couldn't let it go (no one else noticed). I also like to just go over code to figure out how I can make something 1ms faster. I'm terribly annoying to myself like that. Hah
lol pro :) plan on moving to xenforo on DP than shawn? have to ask sorry :D

It wouldn't be possible in the immediate short term. There are a couple features that it's lacking that would make running a large site more challenging (most notably the lack of an infraction type system). I suspect we'll see those things in XF before too long as it matures a bit... So I'm not terribly worried about it "never" having the stuff I would need.

The other issue is I have about 1,000,000 lines of code that have been written to utilize the vBulletin framework. It was about 2 months of solid work getting all my stuff upgraded from vB3 to vB4.

A realistic timeframe for us to evaluate what would be the best option for us would probably be when vB5 comes out since it would probably require a lot of rewrite work on our end anyway.

In the meantime, I plan on porting more of my stuff to XF to keep getting more familiar with coding in it. The hook/template system for extending XF is an absolute dream.

It wouldn't be possible in the immediate short term. There are a couple features that it's lacking that would make running a large site more challenging (most notably the lack of an infraction type system). I suspect we'll see those things in XF before too long as it matures a bit... So I'm not terribly worried about it "never" having the stuff I would need.

The other issue is I have about 1,000,000 lines of code that have been written to utilize the vBulletin framework. It was about 2 months of solid work getting all my stuff upgraded from vB3 to vB4.

A realistic timeframe for us to evaluate what would be the best option for us would probably be when vB5 comes out since it would probably require a lot of rewrite work on our end anyway.

In the meantime, I plan on porting more of my stuff to XF to keep getting more familiar with coding in it. The hook/template system for extending XF is an absolute dream.
Awesome stuff mate! Yea you do have alot of extra's on DP that's for sure :D good luck! (not like you need it lol)

Would be great to see this as a standalone PlugIn, because I have a "niche" forum and my advertisers are not going to use a "third party adserver" ;(

Anyway, looks awesome ;)

Even if I was the higher up, I'd still hate it. I would get pissed when I had to tell people what to do. :)

Small teams are easier to manage. Being an internet company gives you less overhead. You only tell people what to do if you have a need for more people in the first place.

Teams of 2-5 people are just as solid as any. What you need to do, is surround yourself with individuals that amplify your work for a common purpose. Gathering resources that you otherwise wouldn't.

Stay social.

It's covered here: http://www.digitalpointads.com/publishers.php

But just to recap... It's currently a 70/30 split (70% to site owner, 30% to us). Of the 30%, we also potentially pay out 5% of that for referral... so depending on the site, they would be earning some money back from other sites.

Also giving people the last month free so they are free to try it out for a month with no cost. For us, we had a 400%+ gain in ad revenue vs. AdSense.

As far as what the actual costs are going to... we are looking at investing a pretty decent chunk of change in new hardware for the system (~$500k ish for a pretty monster cluster that should be able to handle > 2M ads being served per second along with all the realtime logging/reporting and true cost calculations).

I will definitely give this a try when I open up my website. I am assuming this (ad system) will work with Wordpress as well.

Yes... It will work with any site that can have JavaScript. Some of the more advanced features do require a plugin, but there is already a WordPress one as well.

Yes... It will work with any site that can have JavaScript. Some of the more advanced features do require a plugin, but there is already a WordPress one as well.
Glad to hear it. Very impressed with all of this especially since it incorporates all types of ads.

Should also note that a site doesn't have to offer all ad types though the system. For digitalpoint.com, we offer banners, inline keywords and email ads through it... but we don't offer static text link ads.

Other sites might use it JUST for static text links... or some site might not want to use it for banners, and instead just use it for the inline keyword ads. Site owners also set the minimum allowed bids for everything... if someone had some crazy amazing site that advertisers were willing to pay an insane premium to run ads on (for whatever reason), they could set their minimum banner CPM bid to $100 and a minimum pay per click cost of $10 per click. The point is it's all controllable by the site owner.

Is it possible to set this up so a specific user group will not see the ads?
Just downloaded and trying to install. I think I did everything. Where is the code located for the ad?
It's not a system for positioning ads really, just delivering. For banner ads, you would just put the JavaScript for banner ads in the template(s) you want them to display. If you want to only show to certain users, you could wrap some usergroup logic around the JavaScript.

It's not a system for positioning ads really, just delivering. For banner ads, you would just put the JavaScript for banner ads in the template(s) you want them to display. If you want to only show to certain users, you could wrap some usergroup logic around the JavaScript.
So, it won't show anything, until i add the javascript to the template?

Feature suggestion?:D

i've added now the bannercode to ad_above_top_breadcrumb

problem: after the page loaded, the xenforo "loading bar" in the top right appears and doesn't go away

Top Bottom