1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Difficulties setting permission

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by xoa, Jan 30, 2015.

1. xoa

xoa New Member

Hello, at the moment I'm just a bit confused about setting the permission right.

What is the fastest way setting the permission to allow the "Registered" User-Group so that they can create a thread in a specific forum, and disallow posting/replying/create threads in every other forum?

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Use the node permissions, using allow or revoke as needed.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Remove the create thread and reply permissions for the Registered user group.

Allow them for that specific node only.

Amaury likes this.
  4. xoa

xoa New Member

Thanks, I'll try.

5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Whoops, yeah. This will be faster if you only want to allow those permissions in one node.

6. xoa

xoa New Member

Another question, how can I disable the "Buy Upgrade" feature for specific usergroups? I wan't them to make their first post in the Introduction forum first, then I approve them as "Verified Members" (new usergroup), and only then they are allowed to buy the upgrade.

7. Brogan

There is no option to limit upgrades to specific user groups.

You could edit the template and use a user group conditional statement.

8. xoa

xoa New Member

I think I got it. I opened the account_upgrades template and added on top
    Code:
    <xen:if is="!{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 1, 2, 5}">
    and at the end

Code:
    </xen:if>
    It works, but the better solution would be to hide the Link to the Upgrades and not only the Upgrades itself, but lets see if I find out that one too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  9. xoa

xoa New Member

I have still a different problem.
    I've set up a User Promotion. After a user does his first post in a specific forum, I have to approve the post, once approved, then the user group should change automatically from "Registered Member" to "Verified Member". But it just wont happen. I also run the Cron manually.
    Is there something wrong with my settings?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      86 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

The user will remain in the Registered group and should be added to Verified.

The promotion should work, though you don't actually need to select the Registered group in the promotion criteria. The promotion should kick in when the member is next active after the from has run.

Looking at your permission setup for Registered, there are several errors. Firstly, you haven't set permissions for them to post new threads, reply to posts or like posts. Secondly you have two permissions set to Never for the Registered group. You should use these here as Never cannot be overridden and everyone should have Registered as their primary user group. Set the permissions to Not Set (No) instead.

Amaury likes this.
  11. xoa

xoa New Member

I modified everything as you said, but unfortunately, the user stays in Registered user group. :(

12. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

As I said

They won't be removed from the Registered group.

Have you logged on as the user after running the user group promotion cron and then checked after that if they have been added to the Verified group (assuming they have made a post that has been approved, of course)?

13. xoa

xoa New Member

Ok, now it seems to work, the user has now been assigned to the "Verified Group" as secondary user group. But now I run into another problem. Since I used a conditional statement to hide the the Account Upgrades for the "Registered" User group, now my Verified members also can't see the Account Upgrades. I think because "Registered" is still their Primary group.

14. Brogan

Change the conditional statement to show it to members of the verified group, rather than hiding it from the registered group.

15. xoa

xoa New Member

Ok, I think now all works fine. Thnak you a lot, Xenforo Support is awesome. (y)