Difference between forum and blog

Ryan Kent

I am in the process of installing my first blog software. As I examine blogs and compare them to forums, it seems to be the identical concept with different business rules applied.

On the surface, a blog article is generally better thought out then a forum post, and is focused more on the original poster. But the concept is the same. One member creates a post/article, and users respond in other posts/comments. It seems to me only some business rules change. In a blog, the original poster can moderate comments.

So my question is, why isn't it easier for XF to offer blogs as part of the core package? Am I missing something that would create a challenge?

So my question is, why isn't it easier for XF to offer blogs as part of the core package?
There are great free blog softwares on the market.
People are not interested in buying blog software inbuilt into a forum software.

People are not interested in buying blog software inbuilt into a forum software.

I am... Or was. Now I have no use for one as my current forum project doesn't need one. If it did, however, I would want my blog to be a direct part of my forum.

Really? I'd like to see those stats.

And are their blogs part of the core package? I wouldn't purchase them if they were.
Read what he said, if even one person wanted to buy their blog product, he would have been wrong.

And a lot of people do use the blog add-ons of vBulletin and IPB, even if they're almost useless for what they were made for.

Clearly there is a HUGE number of people who pay for blog software. That really wasn't my point.

Thinking from a database perspective, a blog and forum site seem the same, only the names change. Articles instead of threads, comments instead of posts, etc.

Looking at the front end, it seems some basic business rules change. The author has the ability to moderate comments in his own thread, etc.

I am merely seeking to better understand what complexities I am missing.

And are their blogs part of the core package?
No,it is an addon.
Invision failed selling it bundled with the forum and gallery,they are selling it as an addon now.
vBulletin is selling it as an addon bundled with the so called CMS.

I wouldn't purchase them if they were.
Don't,Peggy.

Top Bottom