DIASPORA: The NEW Social Network

Then, they will fail - Quality needs to take precedence over the idea. A good idea is good, but its not good enough on its own...as is the case with xenForo. :)

It sounds like, from your comments, that Social Engine hasn't been built up, as in, building on an idea. Rather than just presenting a idea.

Then, they will fail - Quality needs to take precedence over the idea. A good idea is good, but its not good enough on its own...as is the case with xenForo. :)

It sounds like, from your comments, that Social Engine hasn't been built up, as in, building on an idea. Rather than just presenting a idea.
XenForo isn't a social network though :).

Although its not... the ideas of the product competes directly with facebook.

Furthermore, it doesn't need to be a social network...

Although its not... the ideas of the product competes directly with facebook.

Furthermore, it doesn't need to be a social network...

Social Engine basically tried to make money off people who thought they'd be the next big MySpace/Facebook.

Heres a quote from the previous page:

Take it as a compliment. I see the rise of xenForo or similar product being the fall of Facebook because everyone can have their own social network.

Thats why I said XenForo isn't a social network.

Well, you misread the point I was trying to make. xenForo isn't a social network - yes, but the feeling that I get from xenForo is that it seems like a merge between two areas; social network and a forum.

And a forum CAN be a social network - someone needs to step up to the plate and provide a cross between a social network and a forum....The closest thing to that very idea is here.

Well, you misread the point I was trying to make. xenForo isn't a social network - yes, but the feeling that I get from xenForo is that it seems like a merge between two areas; social network and a forum.

And a forum CAN be a social network - someone needs to step up to the plate and provide a cross between a social network and a forum....The closest thing to that very idea is here.
XenForo is a forum with a few social network aspects; it is still a forum. It isn't centralized around the profile of its users, but around the discussions that take place between users. Less emphasis on user to user communication, and more on public dicussion (Facebook groups).

Facebook was actually good. I remember when it used to be for university students only, and even at that it was only a selection of universities that were becoming a part of it. Then it opened up to anyone with a .edu, then pretty much anyone at all could join. Now you have a million apps running with people wanting you to pet their cow or milk their goat or something, and it's just spam central.

The popularity of the site went straight to their head, as now the people running Facebook believe our privacy is fair game for them to use how they want--ie: we can make money from your info. Facebook is popular now, but it is not going to be a golden cow forever. Eventually enough people will shift to another community [hopefully with actual concerns about privacy] and create an equilibrium towards something better. It's just up to who can can create that something better for us to wait.

Having seen the talks, I'm not certain on diaspora. It sounds interesting, but you don't suddenly go from pangea to differentiated continents over night. You need to let the tectonic plates shift ever so slightly: you need to have something different from facebook that there's interest, but similar enough for familiarity.

Has the rest of the world realised yet that this thing relies upon hundreds of thousands of individuals hosting Diaspora instances on their own servers? Does anyone here intend to run a Diaspora node, or know someone else who does?

Even though they are against a "centralized hub," they are still offering to host people's "seeds" on their own server until the user finds "other options." A little hypocritical to their mission statement, but they wouldn't get any kind of activity if they didn't offer some hosted solution.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a pretty neat idea, at least theoretically!

Don't forget that they made it so a user on a hosted solution (not just on their turnkey service) can easily export their info to run on their own node. So theoretically, if someone can make a great Diaspora hosted service where users can signup for free, then it may start to take off.

But this would completely defeat the point of Diaspora. :)
Not necessarily. It would help boost Diaspora, if done right. Others have pointed out that you're not going to see even an inkling of 500-million users switch over if it requires downloading software and possibly tinkering with your network settings or router.

I do see what you're saying, though, and it does go against the whole "no centralized control", but at the same time, Facebook doesn't allow you to [easily] export your profile, information, and pictures. Potentially, with Diaspora, it would be different.

I'm just trying to figure out how this would be a "Facebook-killer". Unfortunately, some sort of centralization is the easiest way for users to use these services.

google wave was exactly facebook replacement, i.e. email with more interaction, which covers most of facebook functions
I don't want to argue, but Google Wave is a communication tool - something you use to communicate directly to others, usually about specific topics. Facebook is a social networking tool, something that allows you to connect to real-life friends and have a presence online, with photos, statuses, etc.

They are not at all the same. :)

google wave was exactly facebook replacement, i.e. email with more interaction, which covers most of facebook functions

btw, google just open sourced standalone version of google wave

http://googlewavedev.blogspot.com/2...eps-wave-in-box.html
Then you didn't listen to Google when they said this was meant to replace email? I don't see how an email replacement is supposed to replace social networking? Two different beasteses here.

With the chosen name ( Diaspora ) , i can guarantee that no Turkish people will ever use this service.

Top Bottom