Developing Addons For XenForo Using Difference Frameworks - Thoughts?

TheBigK

I'm wondering if add-ons for xenforo can be developed using different framework; than the traditional approach. That is, setup an API for xenforo first and then use different frameworks out there (say CakePHP) to develop add ons for xenforo?

What are the drawbacks of this way of developing add-on? I can imagine that this would add the additional burden of matching the UI of the add-on with that of the site. What else?

I'm wondering if add-ons for xenforo can be developed using different framework; than the traditional approach. That is, setup an API for xenforo first and then use different frameworks out there (say CakePHP) to develop add ons for xenforo?

What are the drawbacks of this way of developing add-on? I can imagine that this would add the additional burden of matching the UI of the add-on with that of the site. What else?
Nothing much, really, I can see that adding a completely new Zend Framework may be a problem, but with other frameworks it boils down to whether they do things that conflict with each other, for example, trying to setup their own autoloader for class (that would not work, the one on Zend Directory Based under library, if overriden, you wouldn't be able to find the classes)

Most likely you won't be able to use the semantics of the language. For example for CakePHP if you try to go App::uses() and expect it to find the XenForo controller, I would not really expect that to work.

Top Bottom