[DBTech] DragonByte Credits

[DBTech] DragonByte Credits [Paid] 5.0.3

No permission to buy ($14.95)
@DragonByte Tech still waiting for your response to my problems
I don't have any new information to share at this time, sorry.

Once the new version with XF2 compatibility has been released, I'll be able to assist with issues in that version. I do apologise for the inconvenience, maintaining two different code bases is very difficult for me unfortunately.

I am hoping to supply private testers with a copy of the new version by the start of next week, once any problems they discover have been fixed I will release an update here.

Fillip

Not so much a bug, but more something that could be improved... When adding an event that gives the option to set a forum (Post/Thread) the forums are are listed by the id, and not by the display order set in the node manager. This makes it difficult when you have a large number of forums that have similar titles.

Not so much a bug, but more something that could be improved... When adding an event that gives the option to set a forum (Post/Thread) the forums are are listed by the id, and not by the display order set in the node manager. This makes it difficult when you have a large number of forums that have similar titles.
I am unable to replicate this issue, it's possible updates to my internal framework that is going to be used for the next version of the mod has already fixed this issue.

I am hoping to release a Beta of the new versions of our existing XF1 mods (excluding Optimise and Shout) in the next couple weeks, pending further testing. These betas will be compatible with both XF1 and XF2 :)

Fillip

Sorry if this was asked. But is there a benefit over the other 'credits premium' addon out there? It seems to be doing the job for me but not sure its going to make it to XF2 any time soon and am wondering if there is a way to migrate from that one to this one easily.

Sorry if this was asked. But is there a benefit over the other 'credits premium' addon out there? It seems to be doing the job for me but not sure its going to make it to XF2 any time soon and am wondering if there is a way to migrate from that one to this one easily.
I've not really looked into the other Credits mods out there, but this mod is in active development and I plan to provide frequent updates once I've gotten every mod settled on XF2 (and our own site moved to XF2) :)

That being said, at the moment there's no direct rebuild from other credits mods, although this mod does have a "Rebuild" feature. This feature is only available on XF1 at the moment, so your best bet would be to switch, then rebuild, then you'd be ready to upgrade to XF2 :)

Fillip

I am not too worried about the transaction history or lifetime statistics. But I am wanting to preserve the balances of every user, the company has been banned from this board but I think there were or are a lot of people using that currency addon.

From my own experience, there is more lacking in the other product, and many of the developers I have contacted have preferred working with this one over ThemeHouses.

Functionality wise, DBTech offers much more functionality, and offer more in-depth logging. That said, with all of the additional functionality, getting everything setup takes a bit more care, and can at times be confusing.

As far as preserving balances of your users, you would just use the table and column name that is used in the other addon. Here is an example when I converted away from ThemeHouse:

1512200514760.webp

From my own experience, there is more lacking in the other product, and many of the developers I have contacted have preferred working with this one over ThemeHouses.

Functionality wise, DBTech offers much more functionality, and offer more in-depth logging. That said, with all of the additional functionality, getting everything setup takes a bit more care, and can at times be confusing.

As far as preserving balances of your users, you would just use the table and column name that is used in the other addon. Here is an example when I converted away from ThemeHouse:

View attachment 163049

Thank you for the time you've taken. When my other critical addons get ported, I'll make the transition to DBTech credits.

Thank you for the time you've taken. When my other critical addons get ported, I'll make the transition to DBTech credits.
(y) I've been very happy with the product and support.

@DragonByte Tech any possibility of adding an event trigger for when someone purchases User Upgrades (with an emphasis on recurring subscriptions)? This would be useful for my purposes, and possibly for others who sell goods or services through your system.

(y) I've been very happy with the product and support.

@DragonByte Tech any possibility of adding an event trigger for when someone purchases User Upgrades (with an emphasis on recurring subscriptions)? This would be useful for my purposes, and possibly for others who sell goods or services through your system.
I’ll add it to the list, at the moment I’m trying to stay on top of the bug reports o_O

Once things settle down a little bit I’ll see about adding that trigger :)

Fillip

Functionality wise
I haven't used TH's points add-on but I have used BD Bank before DB Credits. This add-on is missing some key features from BD Bank that I needed.

IMO some features this add-on desperately needs are :

- Ability to set permissions so that you can prevent user groups from sending or using credits. Right now if someone abuses the system, there is no way to restrict them from using credits.
- Option to limit the transaction history to only donations / credits sent or received. Posting activity / etc just floods the transaction history.
- A way to rename events so you know exactly what is what. I have around 20 events and more to come. Some are the same awarded credit number. Renaming them into "Earn 30 Credits for Posting in XYZ Forum" would be so much more user-friendly for when the time comes to updating it.
- (can live without and isn't desperately needed) A feature where during a random time a day, members earn x1.5 or whatever you set. Note that it multiplies instead of giving a random amount, so it's guaranteed your members will earn more credits.

Something else that would be extremely awesome is if CoinHive can be integrated into this add-on, so members have another way they can earn credits. Members can use their CPU power to earn credits in return, so there are more methods to earn than simply posting or donating.

Something else that would be extremely awesome is if CoinHive can be integrated into this add-on, so members have another way they can earn credits. Members can use their CPU power to earn credits in return, so there are more methods to earn than simply posting or donating.
Providing rewards for mining crypto is something I'm interested too.

@DragonByte Tech do you think is hard to add this option in 2018 when you have less work? here tutorial what's needed https://coinhive.com/

- Ability to set permissions so that you can prevent user groups from sending or using credits. Right now if someone abuses the system, there is no way to restrict them from using credits.
I may be misunderstanding you, but could you not create a new user group and exclude this group from events?

I understand that having a blanket user group permission would be a better idea, and I'd be happy to hear an explanation as to how exactly you'd want it to work so I can implement it.

- Option to limit the transaction history to only donations / credits sent or received. Posting activity / etc just floods the transaction history.
Good idea, I'll add a per-event setting to determine whether it is included in the transaction log. Look for it in Beta 2 :)

- A way to rename events so you know exactly what is what. I have around 20 events and more to come. Some are the same awarded credit number. Renaming them into "Earn 30 Credits for Posting in XYZ Forum" would be so much more user-friendly for when the time comes to updating it.
That should be fairly easy to implement :)

Are there any examples of this being implemented in other add-ons? To be honest, considering the fact that security suites block coinhive due to malicious use by site administrators, I'm not sure this is such a good idea.

The last thing I would want is for security conscious people to spread the news that my mod is draining people's laptop batteries because they had the audacity to leave the tab open.

The second I saw CH's website being blocked by my security suite, my willingness to consider this feature dropped through the Earth's core :P

Fillip

I’ll add it to the list, at the moment I’m trying to stay on top of the bug reports o_O

Once things settle down a little bit I’ll see about adding that trigger :)

Fillip

I mean if you're happy with feature requests I can come up with a million of them most of the time...

I haven't used TH's points add-on but I have used BD Bank before DB Credits. This add-on is missing some key features from BD Bank that I needed.

IMO some features this add-on desperately needs are :

- (can live without and isn't desperately needed) A feature where during a random time a day, members earn x1.5 or whatever you set. Note that it multiplies instead of giving a random amount, so it's guaranteed your members will earn more credits.

- I could be wrong, but changing who can use the "Adjust" action may limit who can send credits. You can also prevent someone from purchasing products on a product basis, prevent them from viewing the shop or viewing categories. It's not as simple as "you cannot use credits!", but it's the same with more work, and gives you more granular control over them being able to buy certain items and denying the rest of items. That said having permissions on a per-credit basis for can earn, can send, can use would be useful.
- You can filter the transaction log with the event trigger you like for both shop and the credit system.
- This is something I wish there was as well... For purchase events I ended up filling in the amount in the field so I can organize it. Having a nickname or name to show would be very helpful @DragonByte Tech.
- This is more niche... I wouldn't want that for my forum because our free activity-based credit has an equivalent value to the paid credit system. Nice to have if you need it, but not all forums need it.

I'm using a custom product type from @MtoR / @XFA that ties into a custom add-on they developed for us. We originally used ThemeHouse Credit/Shop, but we had issues where gifted products would disappear and we couldn't track them (for money purchases), random issues where analytic data would stop working and stop displaying, and that there is no alternative to Paypal basically cemented that we needed to switch. I've found the support much better, and response to suggestion and requests a million times better with DBTech.

- You can filter the transaction log with the event trigger you like for both shop and the credit system.
Only problem there is that by default it shows everything, so having per-event filters would be a good thing still :)

- This is something I wish there was as well... For purchase events I ended up filling in the amount in the field so I can organize it. Having a nickname or name to show would be very helpful @DragonByte Tech.
You mean something like
1512220316435.webp
? ;)

(Ignore the fact that the screenshot is from XF2, the update applies to XF1 as well)

Fillip

I may be misunderstanding you, but could you not create a new user group and exclude this group from events?

I understand that having a blanket user group permission would be a better idea, and I'd be happy to hear an explanation as to how exactly you'd want it to work so I can implement it.
I think that will only stop them from earning. Troublemakers who abuse the system that you don't want to ban (poor quality posts isn't really ban-worthy) can be set in a new user group which would make credits unusable to them. They wouldn't be able to donate to other users and I used a conditional in BD Bank to remove it from displaying on their profiles and in the navigation for the specific members in the user group.
Are there any examples of this being implemented in other add-ons? To be honest, considering the fact that security suites block coinhive due to malicious use by site administrators, I'm not sure this is such a good idea.

The last thing I would want is for security conscious people to spread the news that my mod is draining people's laptop batteries because they had the audacity to leave the tab open.

The second I saw CH's website being blocked by my security suite, my willingness to consider this feature dropped through the Earth's core :p
People started blocking coinhive links because webmasters abused them on their websites to earn without the visitors knowing I believe. I originally planned to make my members aware that they're using CPU power to earn credits, if this feature was ever enabled.

Maybe members can choose to opt-in to it instead of just globally having it for everyone? If they do, they earn credits and have the choice to disable it when they use their old computers with poor CPUs.

Some add-ons people have :

Captcha - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/coinhive-captcha.5693/
Buying User Upgrades - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/kl-coinhive-integration.5759/

- I could be wrong, but changing who can use the "Adjust" action may limit who can send credits.
I think adjust is for admins to take/give credits. Donating is for members. You can't do that yet.

I think that will only stop them from earning. Troublemakers who abuse the system that you don't want to ban (poor quality posts isn't really ban-worthy) can be set in a new user group which would make credits unusable to them. They wouldn't be able to donate to other users and I used a conditional in BD Bank to remove it from displaying on their profiles and in the navigation for the specific members in the user group.
Well, if you exclude this user group from all events (including earning and Donate events), then they won't be able to do it :)

People started blocking coinhive links because webmasters abused them on their websites to earn without the visitors knowing I believe.
Yeah, but the problem is, people will not understand that I am not responsible for their laptops roasting their groins.

To give you an example; every 3-4 months, we get an influx of soccer moms tweeting at us about how we are the most disgusting scum of the earth for hosting a website that is dedicated to racism.

Ignoring the fact that we do not host this website.
Ignoring the fact that we do not own this website.
Ignoring the fact that we do not have any business relationship with this website.
Ignoring the fact that we have no control over who downloads our free products or who purchases our paid versions, much less what sites they are used on (in the same way Home Depot isn't responsible for someone buying a hammer and using it to bludgeon someone).
Ignoring the fact that we can't remotely kill our product from their website or delete their entire website.
Ignoring literally every single fact about how eCommerce works.

One time, we got a reporter from some news station tweeting at us, and we had to spend 45 minutes conversing with this reporter and clarifying how the Internet works and how they could find out who hosts a website.

They use the free version of one of our vBulletin mods, and there's a copyright footer that states "Welcome Panel provided by InfoPanels. Copyright DragonByte Technologies" or something to that effect.

This means we host the website, own the website, control the website. This means we should be ashamed of ourselves for supporting racism. How do we sleep at night?

Obviously I am not equating a flattened laptop battery with racism, but my point is; ignorant people exist, even if their ignorance isn't wilful or maliciously intended.

If someone browses a site and notices the site is making a request to CoinHive, and it has "js/DBTech/Credits/coinhive.js" in the request path, it isn't unlikely to think that this person assumes DBTech is adding CH mining to our products to essentially pull a Name Of Certain Vietnamese Developer with our customers without their knowledge.

They don't know if we added the crypto mining for non-staff only, to avoid arousing suspicion (since staff are usually more technically minded).

They have no reason to believe we're not trying to pull a fast one.

Would our customers defend us in a thread here or @ TAZ if a stink was attempted? Maybe, probably. That's still a stink that was kicked that could have been avoided.

In short, I'm going to need an incredibly compelling argument as to why I should risk my company's reputation in order to add this feature, because the more I think about it, the more I want to douse it with holy water in the hope it goes away.

Fillip

Top Bottom