Design issue Daylight Savings incorrect for UK

rogerl

My timezone on my profile is set to UTC (London) , but the DST is still being applied (both here on Xenforo.com and on my own forum)

It all seems ok to me... current time is 01:22 GMT.

EDIT: Post date confirms the same.

Where are you seeing a different time?

Can't say I've seen any issue here on XF.com since the switch. Note that the times should be displaying the time it was (in your time zone) when the post was made.

Post dates were what I was looking at.

Everything actually looks okay today so I am wondering if it was a day late changing - it was very obvious between 11pm and midnight last night when all the pre 10pm posts were showing as "yesterday at ..."

Oh you know, I actually happened to stumble upon that with a post last night. It might be a JS side issue then. Not sure the feasibility of reproducing it now.

I think the labelling of the posts as 'Yesterday' comes about because the day effectively has 25 hours; 24 "normal" hours, plus the 1 hour of time reversal. This means posts get tagged as 'Yesterday' when they are (technically) not - but it resolves itself once the hour has passed. (y)

I expect @Mike will have to wait until March 2014 to "catch" this one again ... :D

I think the labelling of the posts as 'Yesterday' comes about because the day effectively has 25 hours; 24 "normal" hours, plus the 1 hour of time reversal.
Indeed - there are some fundamental assumptions of a 86400 second-long day. We don't trust the browser to do anything other than keeping track of how much time has passed; we don't use the time zone in it as it may not be your server-selected TZ.

The issue mostly comes up for 1 hour of 2 days of the year (though there may be an edge case where it comes up relating truly "yesterday" stamps). The behavior is also going to be slightly different when going forward vs back.

Unfortunately I think this will be very hairy to fix.

I think it can tell if the post or user's last activity were before or after DST. I got curious about it and checked XenForo Community as a guest on Google Chrome last night.

So using a couple people for an example, @Trevor Hannant's last activity was on October 3 at 5:38 AM PT, which would be 1:38 PM in the UK. When I hover the date, it does indeed show 1:38 AM on Google Chrome. However, @Mike's last activity was yesterday at 2:42 PM PT, which would normally be 10:42 PM in the UK. However, because we haven't gone back an hour here in the US yet and because his last activity was after DST went out of effect, his profile showed yesterday at 9:42 PM on Google Chrome.

Trevor, Mike, I apologize if this sounds stalk-ish. It's not. I just wanted to show my findings.

@Mike: I think what I said above is how it works on XenForo.

I made this this morning at 12:00 AM, though you'll see it as 2:00 AM since the forum uses Eastern time for guests, which I know is three hours ahead of me, but they went through DST before I did, so that's why there's only a two-hour difference.

Anyway... I created that at 12:00 AM this morning before DST at 2:00 AM, and even when coming on again a while ago, it stayed as 12:00 AM and didn't go back one hour to yesterday at 11:00 PM.

Anyway... I created that at 12:00 AM this morning before DST at 2:00 AM, and even when coming on again a while ago, it stayed as 12:00 AM and didn't go back one hour to yesterday at 11:00 PM.

My understanding is that the roll-back occurs at 1am (so that it rolls back in the same day - as opposed to rolling back into the previous day/date).

The issue mostly comes up for 1 hour of 2 days of the year (though there may be an edge case where it comes up relating truly "yesterday" stamps). The behavior is also going to be slightly different when going forward vs back.

I think the problem actually lasts all day for the day after the clock change with posting times being an hour out. It isn't very apparent because Xenforo list things as "a moment ago" or "55 minutes ago" etc, so you don't see it for recent posts and the timestamp for older posts is less relevant. Of course the "Yesterday" issue which makes it more apparent only exists for an hour.

Top Bottom