Fixed Cut via Shift + Delete doesn't work in the text editor

Stuart Wright

Affected version
Beta on Xenforo.com
Highlight some text in the editor, press Shift+ Delete and I would expect the text to be deleted from the editor and placed into the clipboard so it can be pasted elsewhere.
However, while it is deleted, it is not placed into the clipboard.
Right click -> Cut works. So it looks like a keyboard shortcut issue.
Tested on Xenforo.com using Chrome and Firefox for Windows 10.

Might be that they (whoever did the shortcuts) forgot it? As far as I know, the more common shortcut is CTRL+ X for cutting.

Last edited:
Shift + Del?

It's the first time I've heard of that. I'd only vaguely heard of Ctrl + Del for cutting, but of course the fairly universal standard is Ctrl + X for cutting (because then it's adjacent to Ctrl + C for copying and Ctrl + V for pasting).

Does Ctrl + Del work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts#General_shortcuts

Judging by this, the only shortcuts I'd expect us to support for cutting would be Ctrl + X or Ctrl + Del on Windows.

@Snog that reference is for files though. You can hardly delete a text and move it to the recycle bin. ;) Either way, Shift + Delete also cuts text in MS Notepad on Win10, so I guess it's not an uncommon functionality, although uncommonly used.

I've just moved over to my Windows machine to check it.

Shift + Del does indeed work in Windows for cutting text in pretty much all apps I tried. Ctrl + Del doesn't, so that leads me to believe that Wikipedia is wrong, in this case.

I can confirm that some rich text editors support it, some don't. This is essentially entirely a Froala issue so all we can do at this point is log it and see if they wish to make any changes here.

https://github.com/froala/wysiwyg-editor/issues/2188

Last edited:
I've just moved over to my Windows machine to check it.

Shift + Del does indeed work in Windows for cutting text in pretty much all apps I tried. Ctrl + Del doesn't, so that leads me to believe that Wikipedia is wrong, in this case.

I can confirm that some rich text editors support it, some don't. This is essentially entirely a Froala issue so all we can do at this point is log it and see if they wish to make any changes here.

https://github.com/froala/wysiwyg-editor/issues/2188

Thanks. I reported it because it works in XF1.

Yeah, those of us who are old enough to predate the Microsoft Ctrl-C/V/X "standard" still use Shift-DEL to cut and Shift-INS to paste because it was the standard before MS came along and ruined it for everyone.

Shift + Del?

It's the first time I've heard of that.
You're not 'old school' yet, Chris :) As someone who has used Windows for coding since it replaced DOS, I do use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V as standard, but also SHIFT + Delete. It's one of those muscle memory things done without thinking depending on where your fingers are located at the time.

Just to keep you all up to date, Froala has fixed this for their next release. We'll mark this as fixed and advise which XF version will include it once they've released it and we've updated to that.

XF 2.0 Beta 3 includes Froala 2.6.6 so Shift + Del should now work as a "Cut" shortcut.

Yes it does - although I was finding some quirks in that the second thing I cut wasn't being saved and it kept pasting the first thing, but now I can't reproduce it so it may have just been a thing.

Top Bottom