XF 1.4 Custom Help Pages and New Profile Post Features

Today, we have a video showing upcoming improvements to the XenForo help system, and a new way to surface profile posts.

View on Vimeo

My apologies for the sound quality, I'm hoping that some new audio gear will be arriving before I record the next one of these.

Just a reminder: Please do not post suggestions in this thread (even if you feel they are related). Use the dedicated suggestion forum so they can be tracked; suggestions made in this thread are unlikely to be implemented.

Love this update! It was such a pain adding new help pages in the past. Like some of the others have said, it would be great if the 5 default pages were also available to edit and re-order in the CHP manager so they could be removed, edited or re-ordered quickly.

The interact button is a very nice touch too. Using the update status widget from the widget framework I've experienced users updating their own status direct from the widget instead of visiting the users profile page to reply, as it's too long winded to load a whole new page to interact with the status. Especially if you just want to give it a quick like. The interact button sorts that :)

Two notes, on the new profile post widget, it could be nice if the user could update their own status from the block, like you can in the widget framework version (see below), will that be an option?

Also, will it be possible to re-order the blocks on the sidebar by setting the display order somewhere in the ACP now that there are more than a few?

Nice work guys :)
upload_2014-7-15_10-9-51.webp

A great backend solution and a nice forum home feature to make it look more interesting and engaging. This will also help the popularity of profiles. Well done!

Last edited:
Very nice, now I can migrate all my wiki help pages to the regular help section and remove another addon. (y)

The interaction function of the profile sidebar is very nice as well. I probably won't use it on my forum listing but hopefully its converted into a XF widget so it can easily be used elsewhere.

Great stuff! I've been using the widget plugin to show profile posts in the sidebar, and it remains an extremely popular place of casual communication within my community.

I also agree with @robinhood that it's important for users to be able to update their status right within the sidebar - or at least have some type of button which opens up the user menu (near the alerts) which contains the status composition form.

Finally, as much as I do love the "interact" menu, it would be great to be able to "Like" status updates directly on the page without having to open up any overlays. The easier it is to like someone's status, the more "likes" will be handed out. This positive reinforcement will encourage people to post status updates on XenForo more often, returning to our sites and strengthening our communities. (y)

Kier / Mike,

Could we see some stats after a period of time that show the increase in profile posts and comments since 1.4 was installed?

Clearly going to be much higher. Will be just interesting to see.

Will we be able to hide profile posts that people post to other people's profiles? I would just want posts people posted to their own profiles to show, and not something like this,

82eb8e4e7b.png

Will we be able to hide profile posts that people post to other people's profiles? I would just want posts people posted to their own profiles to show, and not something like this,

82eb8e4e7b.png
As per my response to your suggestion, Facebook shows these so XenForo should too.They are public posts after all and other users may wish to comment on them.

Guys is there anyway to limit display of profile posts only from people you follow in that new post list? or any group permission
If not spammers might abuse this and all the conversations can move to profiles other than forum. I know FB also has this but only within your friends not whole site.

Guys is there anyway to limit display of profile posts only from people you follow in that new post list? or any group permission
If not spammers might abuse this and all the conversations can move to profiles other than forum. I know FB also has this but only within your friends not whole site.
The spamming issue can be resolved by not allowing new members to make profile posts (permission setting).

I doubt all conversations will move to profile posts. They don't support BB Code, read tracking, attachments or various other things that forum posts can do. Profiles can be set to People You Follow but it's a member setting not an Admin one (ie members can change it). Also the follow process is not two-way like Facebook, both parties would have to follow each other to see profiles and make profile posts.

Top Bottom