1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Custom Help Pages and New Profile Post Features

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Today, we have a video showing upcoming improvements to the XenForo help system, and a new way to surface profile posts.

View on Vimeo

My apologies for the sound quality, I'm hoping that some new audio gear will be arriving before I record the next one of these.

Just a reminder: Please do not post suggestions in this thread (even if you feel they are related). Use the dedicated suggestion forum so they can be tracked; suggestions made in this thread are unlikely to be implemented.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There goes my add-on.

D.O.A., Dinosaur, Strong and 10 others like this.
  3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ah good ole videos :)

FredC likes this.
  4. DJ XtAzY

DJ XtAzY Active Member

Missed your voice and your vids XD. Time to procrastinate during work for a few minutes to watch this.

5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I should mention that there was serious debate in the staff room as to whether I should state that having custom help pages is pretty much the same as having a CMS...

Kaynil, Eagle, Renada and 21 others like this.
  6. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

That is awesome! :) Thanks Kier!

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Good to see this in there too :D

xml.png

8. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh Well-Known Member

Wow! Neat and Intuitive! (y)

9. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

Hi, how easy is it to remove or edit default Help pages? (The smilies, BBCode, Trophies etc.)

JJJ, eberkund, gldtn and 2 others like this.
  10. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I was going to mention that :p

There's almost always a sneak peak to other new features in these videos...

11. Jeremy

You will still need to edit templates, @sadikb, this doesn't manage the default pages. Just new ones.

JJJ, eberkund and Sadik B like this.
  12. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

Some really nice improvements. The profile posts sidebar is great. It's the best implementation that I've seen of it so far.

13. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Yeah, the new system is very powerful (i'm also think that i would be easy for you to expand this feature into an article system).

My suggestion for the help page is to allow the possibility to use BB Code in Help Pages.

14. Sadik B

I see. Not that it's a big deal but most people would kinda expect to be able to change the default ones also.

feldon30, QenTox, eberkund and 4 others like this.
  15. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

I came here tonight to specifically ask about adding to the help page:D. So glad I saw this video before I posted..... Roll on 1.4 (y)

16. Jeremy

You can already do that with templates & phrases, they just aren't on one page together (which is what I'm assuming you want). Without seeing the code, Mike & Kier would essentially have to send the default pages to be custom or modify how this system works to handle the default ones.

17. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  18. Sadik B

Yeah. I don't see the point of having the default pages. Just use the new help system for ALL pages.

eberkund, masterchief, Favori and 4 others like this.
  19. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

20. Jeremy

At least one of the default pages is required by EU law.