CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
I don't own this addon but I'm seriously considering just buying it to support Brogan. The level of support you guys get in this thread is ridiculous.
Yes, that's a great idea. Join the club and support a great addon.

Brogan,

As far as I know, threads added to the slider HAVE to be promoted as well correct? What I mean is, let's say you have the featured threads page as your home page. There you have articles that were promoted. You also have a slider on this homepage. Every promoted thread that you choose to promote to the slider has to also appear as a "promoted thread" on that page as well? My dilemma here is that content would appear to be duplicated as a thread on the slider and an article below that.

Unless I am missing something, there is no way to promote threads to the slider apart from (or independently to) the standard featured threads system?

Correct.
Only featured threads can be promoted to the slider.

For the next version I will make it an option to show the featured thread on the page.

@Viserys, I should add that every featured thread has it's own unique class, as do nodes threads are featured from.
So it is very simple to hide specific threads or groups of threads using CSS and display:none.

Or even just edit the template to remove the block of code altogether, so no threads are shown on the page.

Well I've not long bought this and haven't even used it yet, I've read the comments that started a few pages back because of piracy.
I have one thing to say;

Yes I bought this add-on, no I've not even used it but @Brogan the fee I paid for this,( if this release does end up going on hold until your next release) - I am happy to have paid ANYWAY for the sheer bloody help you've given me in getting going..

Sod the bs surrounding this, fact is someone's pirated it, it is tragic, but done.. However, even though ours is still waiting to be set up - so thus I can't comment on how excellent it is personally (yet) I will say that you've earnt that £30 off me just in bloody support PM's for crying out loud...

Keep it going old bean; Illegitimi Non Carborundum
And even though I've not had chance to even use your wonderful add-on yet?? The money's already been well spent in the support you've given with other things.

Chin up mate and I'm sure you can fix it somehow with a callback to home of sorts.....

I am breaking my head how to find a solution for not having a RSS feed for the featured articles. Have tried making a fb rss feed, twitter rss and a few other solutions but none of them do the job.

Is it possible to add a rss feed in the next release Brogan as it would be super handing for those readers that follow site news by RSS or Feedburner.

An RSS feed is on the suggestion list already although I have commented previously that I don't really see the point as the threads are already in the global and node feeds.

Other sites and social media channels might want to pick up the news by RSS.

I can't use the featured threads in the node feeds as my options are pretty limited as we keep all our threads featured to create a little frontpage. Its either only the latest thread I can feature or I am having 3 months old articles in the loop :)

I prefer a good old sidebar block with the 10 latest articles submitted to the frontpage and rss and xfrocks widget framework do a good job together.

It's still on the suggestion list, even though I don't personally see much value in it :)

To be honest, I don't use most of the stuff added over the last 10 months :D

Hi @Brogan, i finally use your awesome addons and i have 2 questions:
1) How i can change the position of Featured Threads block? I have it under Taigachat and i want to move it up the chat
2) There are a way to "ignore" images on Featured Threads? I have a header image on some topic, i don't want to show this on the featured threads block

The block is added via a template modification.
How is the taigachat block added?
If it's the same, you can change the execution order, but you would need to enable debug mode.

Edit the featured thread content to remove the images.

I have a sub- forum that's not viewable by people who aren't logged in. If I have some featured threads from this sub-forum, and have the featuread threads home page set up, how will that work for guests? Will the spaces where the featured threads are be blank or will the unregistered viewers be able to see them, just not click on them and read them? I have the unregistered permission set to allow.

I have a sub- forum that's not viewable by people who aren't logged in. If I have some featured threads from this sub-forum, and have the featuread threads home page set up, how will that work for guests?
Featured threads follow permissions. If guests cannot read these threads from the sub forum then they won't see them as Featured threads. There won't be any gaps, there will just be shown the Featured threads that they can read.

Exactly as Martok said.
In addition, as it states in the resource content:
Featured threads can only be seen by those with the permission to do so.
That includes the general view permission for the add-on and also any node specific permissions (the View Thread content must be set to Allow), as well as whether the thread author is ignored or not.
So, for example, featured threads from private forums can only be seen by those with access to the forum.

Thanks guys. I figured that was the case but wasn't sure if it would show a placeholder title or something of the sort.

Although, its just dawned on me that I could have just logged out and tested this myself. I'm clearly operating at full capacity today...

2 Q's on the slider:

1 - I can't seem to figure out how to get the slider to display but not have the featured thread/threads displayed below it on the individual forum pages. I see in Style Properties -> Slider you can turn off the slider on the forum list and view pages. Not sure what the Page Slider refers to.

2 - Do you recommend a general height/width px for images and a percentage? I see in the FAQ you are using 1100x400 and 100%.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the slider to display but not have the featured thread/threads displayed below it on the individual forum pages.
In the options.

upload_2014-10-14_10-31-35.webp

Uncheck each one as required.

Not sure what the Page Slider refers to.
That is to display the slider on the main featured threads page.

Do you recommend a general height/width px for images and a percentage? I see in the FAQ you are using 1100x400 and 100%.
It depends on your site, style and personal preference.
I just use those values for testing but I don't use those on my production site.

Top Bottom