CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Thanks Shaun, the fix should resolve that.
I've just sent the fix to you via conversation if you want to test it.

<cough> One more little thing ... :whistle:

Going to first unread post: if a thread is featured that you're already participating in, the linked title takes you to the first post; would it be possible to have the link go to first unread post - maybe add /unread on the end?

Hmm, does anyone else have an opinion on that?

I'd like to get some feedback first before implementing it and then discovering it's not desired.

I'd like to get some feedback first before implementing it and then discovering it's not desired.
I don't see a problem appending /unread.

If somebody hasn't read the thread in the past, it'll still go to the first post (unread) so the featured thread is still getting its exposure.

It's not simply a case of just appending /unread to the URL.
Checks will have to be done for read data, otherwise the URL will always have /unread on the end, which would be inconsistent with the way it works in the core.
It will work of course, but it's sloppy and shows a lack of attention to detail.

What about making it an option? - Add /unread to thread link [ ]

By default it could be disabled and those of us who want it can enable it as required. (y)

[Edit: I realise you'll probably want it to be more elegant than that, so understand if you'd prefer not to. ;)]

If (when) it gets added then it will just be added globally, as with the core XenForo functionality.

I'm not convinced that adding an unread option is really that necessary.

I'd have thought that the general usage of Featured Threads would be to feature new threads. If that's the case, then the first post will be new to pretty much everyone, so the current functionality will satisfy that.

For forums that are featuring threads that might have been going for some time or have a fair few posts already (I notice that @Clickfinity is doing this on Cyclechat), I still think that the link should go to the first post, even if you've visited the thread before. The first post gives the thread some context, and it may well be useful for someone who has visited the thread before (particularly if some time ago) to refresh themselves on what the thread is all about by reading the first post. Then they can just scroll down the page to the unread posts or, if it goes across multiple pages, use the Go to First Unread button next to the page buttons.

Personally I believe that having the link go to the first unread post shouldn't be added even as an option as this would then be global and if it's switched on and a user wants to read the first post to refresh themselves (or read for the first time because they just marked it as read previously) then they'd have to return to the first page and first post, making for an awkward and disjointed experience.

Fair enough. The way I'm using it is to feature on-going threads that have replies and are "discussions" already - as opposed to first posts (we're unlikely to feature something on a first-post basis unless it's lengthy and detailed, or exceptional in quality).

I suppose though, once you've visited a featured thread - via the featured block - you're unlikely to repeat the visit via the block, so perhaps it's a moot point. (y)

Fair enough. The way I'm using it is to feature on-going threads that have replies and are "discussions" already - as opposed to first posts (we're unlikely to feature something on a first-post basis unless it's lengthy and detailed, or exceptional in quality).

I suppose though, once you've visited a featured thread - via the featured block - you're unlikely to repeat the visit via the block, so perhaps it's a moot point. (y)
As I said, if anyone does then there's the Go to First Unread button next to the page buttons that folks can use. :)

I can see the argument for and against, although I am leaning towards against as I don't think it's a valid use case for FT due to the nature of them (generally for the reasons given by Martok).

Brogan updated CTA Featured Threads with a new update entry:

Minor tweaks and bug fixes

Another minor update which addresses a few things.

New Features, Functionality & Changes
  • Ability to disable the title tooltip via new Style Properties
View attachment 66488 View attachment 66489

Bugs Fixed
  • Prevent auto embedding of media
  • Censor applied to thread title tooltip
  • Censor applied to URL displayed in browser status bar on Featured Threads page (on hover)

New Style Properties
  • CTA Featured Threads...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The latest version will be emailed to all license holders as soon as I have packaged it up (and had some dinner :D).

There are a couple of outdated templates after this lastest upgrade - just merge them?

• cta_featuredthreads_featured_list_item

• cta_featuredthreads_list_item

Last edited:
@Clickfinity, I've got all the stuff prepared for removing the various blocks from the pages.

It requires creating three custom user fields and then either editing the templates or creating template modifications.

What I will do is release the template edits as an add-on which can be imported, should anyone wish to use it.

Top Bottom