[Suggestion] Release the "Featured Threads" / "Portal" XF2 Demo Add-on as an XF Add-on

Kevin

The add-on in the XF2 Dev Docs for creating a "Featured Threads" / "Portal" is actually a pretty nice add-on and I think it could be a solution for some people looking to migrate to XF2 and need/want a "portal" type page and/or "featured threads".

The suggestion is to cleanup the code (to get rid of the "demo" prefixes everywhere) and to release it under the generic "XenForo" account along with the rest of the XF resources. By posting under the generic account it could be something you guys (the actual XF team) could work on anonymously as needed as time allows without anybody in particular getting bugged for new features.

Besides getting more exposure to people who might be interested in it, having it as a released add-on may spur 3rd party devs to work on accompanying add-ons to enhance it (like doing some widgets for the 'featured threads' and/or doing guides to add stuff to the portal page and/or helping out with answering questions that will inevitably be posted).

Well you can get the source code from the doc page and then all you have to do is follow the build instructions so that would be nice but it only takes a few minutes to get it going.

Well you can get the source code from the doc page and then all you have to do is follow the build instructions so that would be nice but it only takes a few minutes to get it going.
<sigh> Of course somebody can get it from the dev page (I've even already posted the link in some threads) but that has nothing to do with the reasons for the suggestion that was posted above.

Just posting this as info, not to say the suggestion isn’t valid but if I’m not mistaken it was included in the development builds early on.

I'm probably mistaken though I could have sworn I seen it in the add-on list for installable add-ons...I just checked a DP2 zip and it isn't in there. :whistle:

It is a manual thing to change in our build tools to ensure stuff isn't unintentionally included, so it is possible :) Maybe we noticed and re-built the release or something similar.

This is a great idea. The demo portal is already great as is, and with the two additions listed here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf2-demo-featured-threads-portal.150117 it would be even better. A portal page is one of the first things most xenforo customers look for (I would assume). I have seen guides ranging from custom html pages to using widgets to emulate a portal. Most users don't know the demo portal exists. Adding it as an addon in the resources listings will give it more exposure.

This is a great idea. The demo portal is already great as is, and with the two additions listed here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf2-demo-featured-threads-portal.150117 it would be even better. A portal page is one of the first things most xenforo customers look for (I would assume). I have seen guides ranging from custom html pages to using widgets to emulate a portal. Most users don't know the demo portal exists. Adding it as an addon in the resources listings will give it more exposure.
Anything ready to use for non-developers? :giggle:

Top Bottom