CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
As it stands there is no option to change the author avatar, nor upload a custom image, nor display any BB code in the content.

This has been made clear from the start and is in the resource description.
Titles and content are passed through the censor and all BB Code other than smilies (optional) and URLs is stripped from the output. This means no images, videos, quotes, or any other BB Code will be displayed.

The thread author's avatar can be displayed along with the content if desired. It is not possible to replace this with a custom image of any sort.

It would require fundamental changes to the code and I have not yet decided if I want to go down that route.

In addition, it would require yet more options and SPs as most people who have already purchased, bought it based on the current functionality.
To suddenly have all bb code parsed in the output may not be what they want (personally speaking, I wouldn't want that.)

Both suggestions have already been made numerous times.
Constantly posting about them doesn't make them more likely to be implemented.

There is a fairly decent list of current suggestions, some of which are under active development, some of which are still being considered and some of which have been rejected.

Edit: I have just updated the FAQ to add these two specific points, for anyone who may miss it in the main resource text: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/featured-threads.2599/field?field=faq

Last edited:
Brogan updated Featured Threads with a new update entry:

Alerts!

This release adds a few more goodies as well as improving functionality.

It’s another fairly big update so please read these release notes carefully.

Alerts!
View attachment 65953

Thread authors will now be alerted when their thread has been featured.
View attachment 65954

There is a new option to remove the featured thread expiry date from the alert.
View attachment 65955

If the option is checked, alerts will show as follows:
View attachment 65956

If...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I will email the latest version to all existing customers within the next 30 minutes.

First it's time for lunch :D

If you do not receive it, let me know via conversation.

I've been waiting for 1.5.0 before installing so that my members are notified when their threads are featured; thanks for the update Paul - much appreciated. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

In Style Properties, change the Thread Content and Thread Text heights for both the individual blocks and page.

You will need to experiment with the heights required, based on your style, font, line height, etc.
Try adding 100px to each to start with.
I've set it so suit on my desktop, but for my mobile I need to use less text, because sometimes it is shown outside the box. Possible to make automatic shortening to suit in mobile or any other view?

Thanks Brogan! FT 1.5.0 is up and running on Admin Extra! :thumbsup:

Question - Is there a way to alternate the styling of the featured thread blocks on the Featured Thread page? For example, I like the dark styling we're using on Featured Threads on AdEx's main forum page, but when they stack up on the Featured Threads page it's a lot of blackness. I was curious what it would look like if every other block displayed in the default light style.

Yes, there are separate options, style properties and css classes for individual page blocks and the dedicated page.

You can even style each block separately depending on the forum the thread is from, again on the individual blocks and page.

@Sheldon should be able to help - I added all of that stuff in after he requested it.

It's actually showing as dark and light for me on the fixed width style.

Thanks @Brogan for yet another great update.....(y)

I know you have added a lot more text to the boxes, but it looks like this on my mobile:

Screenshot_2014-01-29-14-44-47.webp

I think it would look better if "username" and "read more were on the same line and
"views","replies and likes were on a line below and on the Left.....that way it will look neater in all browsers imo...
its just some food for thought is all......in the meantime I will turn off "replies" as I dont think that is as important to me than views and likes!

top bannana!(y)

That's expected as the elements are all floated and when the browser width is too narrow, they will wrap to a second line. The same thing happens with many elements of the core XenForo software.
For example:
upload_2014-1-29_14-59-28.webp

You have several options available though.

You can edit the templates if you want to move stuff around, on to different rows, etc. as they are all in separate spans.

Failing that you can disable some of the elements.

Lastly, you can add media queries to hide them when the browser width is below a specified number of pixels.

I deliberately didn't hide anything at smaller widths as some people may want them displayed and it is easier for individual users to make the changes they need for their own sites.

Excellent update, Paul
I did, but just to note as others may have the same problem. So far everything came to my inbox, but the last one didn't (which is weird).
Thanks for the update
Make sure you also mark is as 'Not Spam' so Gmail knows it was intended for you, it apparently helps them 'learn' what is and isn't spam.

Gmail is a bit random (annoyingly) when it comes to flagging email as spam.
It happens to me all the time with stuff I receive regularly.

Thanks for the heads up though.
If anyone hasn't received the update, check your spam folder.
Failing that I can resend it to individuals as necessary.

Excellent update, Paul

Make sure you also mark is as 'Not Spam' so Gmail knows it was intended for you, it apparently helps them 'learn' what is and isn't spam.
Yeah, clicking the "No Spam" whitelists the email automatically. They also learn if emails are spam if you click the "Spam" button, so it works either way.

Brogan updated Featured Threads with a new update entry:

Hiding elements based on the browser width using media queries and CSS

This update is a guide to removing various elements based on the browser width.

If you have all of the elements checked in Style Properties, this may produce undesirable results on narrow screens (i.e. mobile devices).

To counter that you can specifically hide individual elements based on the narrow, medium and wide settings you have specified in Style Properties -> Responsive Design -> Settings.

There are three responsive width settings which can be defined there:

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom