1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Convert URLs to Page Titles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Robru, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Robru

Robru Active Member

On my forum, the external links will be converted properly, but not the internal. How can it get ?

2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Is there no conversion for internal links at all? Do they convert if posted on here?

Incidentally I note that both www and non-www versions of your site exist. You need to redirect one to the other. See point 19 of the FAQ.

Frequently Asked Questions

3. Robru

Robru Active Member

That is correct
    HTML:
    https://www.caviaforum.nl/events/upcoming
    Caviashows 2015 - 2016 | Het énige échte Caviaforum
    I 'm going to watch :)

4. Robru

Robru Active Member

What is most done? The www or leave right away?

5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Disable all add-ons and switch to a default unedited style, then try again to see in internal links convert.

6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

It's personal choice.

7. Robru

Robru Active Member

First I created a new style (no parent) with all the add-ons disabled. The internal links don't convert.

8. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Just to confirm, you are talking about new internal links not converting? Existing internal links in posts that have previously been made won't auto convert.

9. Robru

Robru Active Member

This is an ancient link from 2012, here it works.
    HTML:
    https://www.caviaforum.nl/threads/miniatuur-bullterrier.218797/

Miniatuur Bullterrier

10. Robru

Robru Active Member

I put this in the .htaccess:

Code:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    Give always the www now.

11. Robru

Robru Active Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  12. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Have you posted that link in a new post on your site?

13. Robru

Robru Active Member

Yes :)

14. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I think this is one for the XenForo team then, you seem to have everything set correctly and have tested with add-ons disabled in an unedited default style.

15. Robru

Robru Active Member

Thank you very much for your help Martok :)
    I will create a support ticket.

16. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I've seen this before, I think, whereby some access rules are preventing the request from being routed in such a way. It's likely a configuration issue your host might need input on in the first instance.

Everything seems to be set up correctly so it might be worth seeing if they have any suggestions.

Robru likes this.
  17. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have replied to your ticket.

As Chris has suggested above, it's something you will need to contact your host about - more information and how to debug the issue is available in the ticket.

Robru likes this.
  18. Beanjam

Beanjam Active Member

Did anyone figure out why this doesn't work for internal links? I have a locally served clean test install and it's not working.

19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's likely a sign that the server either isn't resolving its own domain as expected or (probably more likely) the web server isn't accepting requests for the domain on the IP it's directing to.
    This will likely require server configuration changes.

It can probably be debugged a bit by making curl or wget requests for your domain from the command line.

It will probably require changing the server's host name (if it matches the domain and thus resolves to 127.0.0.1) or making sure the web server/vhost is listening on that IP

This is something you would need to contact your host about for support and resolution.

20. Beanjam

Beanjam Active Member

Why would it need to fetch the page content, can't the local title can be generated from the database?

Edit: I added the domain to the /etc/hosts file and now it's working.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016