Convert IPB to Xenforo Arabic?

redwolf6

Hello,

I have a IPB licence 3.3.1 version but I don't like it at all. I have been using it since 1 year and I find it buggy. Anyway, I was in a forum and I really liked the interface and it was using Xenforo.

So I would like to know if I get a licence, can i get convert my Board to Xenforo without losing the members / posts? everything will be in Arabic? no problem at all?

Is there a lot of mods and styles here? Is it easy to play with it?

Thanks!

I believe there shouldnt be an issue with the convert. However, keep in mind, when I tried to convert my forum from VB to xenForo, I had problems with arabic passwords not working correctly for my users. What you can do is, set up a test forum before you go live with the convert.

It really depends on your forum. If you have a heavely modded forum, I would advise against it. However, if you have a simple forum, then you should actually go ahead and switch it will benefit your forum. If you have a link to your forum so I can take a look at it, that would be great.

Yeah it looks basic. I would recommend xenForo. Before the switch, keep in mind that there is a lawsuit against xenForo by another company. It may affect xenForo's development. Good luck.

Here is an Arabic language pack:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/arabic-language.55/

Here is an Arabic XenForo forum that you can see:

http://www.shababadrar.net/vb/

I believe there shouldnt be an issue with the convert. However, keep in mind, when I tried to convert my forum from VB to xenForo, I had problems with arabic passwords not working correctly for my users. What you can do is, set up a test forum before you go live with the convert.

I haven't heard of this before. It might be a character encoding problem. What encoding did your vB forum use?

Before the switch, keep in mind that there is a lawsuit against xenForo by another company. It may affect xenForo's development. Good luck.
What are you dooooooing? This is a potential customer! :(
Oh...Lawsuit?
Don't be detered! Go on, buy it! :)
If it ain't broken don't fix it lol..I'll find a suitable theme and play with IPB.
Buuuut, it doesn't sound like you're happy with IPB! I feel the same that you do. I've never bought a IPB license, but I had an opportunity to use a IPB license, and I don't like it. :(
I don't want to buy another licence.
You can sell your IPB license and transfer it to someone else. :) Go on! Buy xenForo, join us! :)

What are you dooooooing? This is a potential customer! :(

It's fair game. The lawsuit is public knowledge and that makes some prospective buyers uncomfortable which is the intention of the lawsuit, an intention that is made clear in the original announcement:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly. We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.
We consider Kier and Mike to be talented developers, but ones who potentially fail to grasp the implications of their actions.

Most people here recognize that the lawsuit is frivolous and that it's just a matter of time until XF wins. But Nasr's point is that the lawsuit may put a damper on development which is also fair game. The lawsuit has been a huge financial drain and that has consequences.

I personally am not deterred. But if the lawsuit makes him uncomfortable then that's his business.

Oh...Lawsuit?

If it ain't broken don't fix it lol..I'll find a suitable theme and play with IPB. I don't want to buy another licence.

Thanks for your help :)

If you ever decide to migrate to XenForo then I am available to help with your import. I am very good with imports.

It's fair game. The lawsuit is public knowledge and that makes some prospective buyers uncomfortable which is the intention of the lawsuit, an intention that is made clear in the original announcement:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

Most people here recognize that the lawsuit is frivolous and that it's just a matter of time until XF wins. But Nasr's point is that the lawsuit may put a damper on development which is also fair game. The lawsuit has been a huge financial drain and that has consequences.

I personally am not deterred. But if the lawsuit makes him uncomfortable then that's his business.

If you ever decide to migrate to XenForo then I am available to help with your import. I am very good with imports.

I think I was the first person to convert to xf for an Arabic forum. It might have possibly been an encoding issue. I honestly didnt have the time to fix everything cuz of my grumpy users. I then decided to switch back to vb 3 after a major fail with vb 4.

It's fair game. The lawsuit is public knowledge and that makes some prospective buyers uncomfortable which is the intention of the lawsuit.
But... but... but... :( ...He should've not like... ya know, say it out ....loud. :cautious: [Doesn't do my facial expression justice, but you get the idea.]

There are a few threads on the lawsuit on xenForo. Bringing it up the way that the guy [Nasr] did... may change customer from "I wanna buy!" to "Oh man. :unsure:" No offense Nasr! :)

xenForo is a new company being hit by a juggernaut company. (n)
Well, I guess you do bring up a good point.
mmmmh...mmhm. :notworthy:

Xenforo
is a great product I highly recommend it to anyone. My site is Arabic and I migrated from vb4 without any major issues expect for url problems because of the leak of resources at the time of software release. However currently there are many modes that can make the transfer easier for you.

Lawsuit
after all, I think vb made huge mistake by the announcing the lawsuit in vb.com because many of vb loyal users migrated the day they heared about the xenforo, such as ME.

My users
I can't lie and say that many of my users like the look and the feel of xenforo at first. However after I explain the pros and cons and show them the features and after view months of using the software they realize the difference.

Overall,
I think you should transfer as soon as possible since you just started your forum it should be easier for you.

If you need any type of help you can always PM at any time

Honest Question:

If many people believe that they are going to win lawsuit then why not release resource add-ons and add new features to current XF release and make users purchase more? This way XF can earn more money? While in fact, I have seen no features being add since months and developers are all quite on this forums compare to IPB.

That being said, I just purchased the license few weeks back thinking, things will turn out +ve sooner or later.

Honest Question:

If many people believe that they are going to win lawsuit then why not release resource add-ons and add new features to current XF release and make users purchase more? This way XF can earn more money? While in fact, I have seen no features being add since months and developers are all quite on this forums compare to IPB.

I think I remember seeing a post saying that Kier, Mike and Ashley are pretty busy with the lawsuit and that's why they are unable to post any update :)

stability and usability is the main approach for xenforo's developer, money is just an object.
I hope this perspective to remain this way in my journey with xenforo...

Honest Question:

Compared to other forum applications, XenForo's rate of software updates is not bad. I followed vB closely for many years, and their rate of major updates (second version number) was typically every 12-18 months. XenForo went from 1.0 to 1.1 in 8 months. It has been 9 months since 1.1. And of course point releases have followed. But frequency of updates isn't the real issue.

The concern being expressed on this forum speaks to the reality of the situation with the lawsuit. The staff has basically been working without pay for 3 years because of the lawsuit. You can imagine the effect this has on their personal lives, and personal stuff is why the lack of interaction as of late. Despite this, the product has been and continues to be very successful. That's a good sign. If XenForo can succeed in the current environment then imagine what it can do once this legal nonsense is past.

So you will excuse KAM for not being active on the forum right now. In the meantime you have me. :D

Top Bottom