Migration from IPB

dorsch

Hello everyone,

I currently own a technical support forum. IPB gets worse from release to release, which is why I am currently thinking about migrating my community (80k members, 500k posts) from IPB to a different software.

Xenforo has gained a lot of momentum in the past couple of months so it is pretty much on top of my list of possible candidates. I have a few questions though and I hope someone here can answer at least a few of them:

Xenforo does have an importer to import an existing IPB forum. Does Xenforo use the same hashing scheme for passwords or do all users get a new password? What about users that logged in through social networks like Facebook or Twitter? Are those converted properly? What about custom fields in user profiles?

I also use a rather unique permission setup. My community has a malware removal section where trained professionals help users getting rid of malware. In these sections normal users can only reply to topics that they created. This is done to prevent users from giving advice to other users which can be quite risky if they don't know exactly what they are doing. Is such a setup possible using the Xenforo default permissions? If not, does Xenforo provide the necessary hooks to extend the permission system without having to patch the existing source files? What about attachments? Malware removal logs contain quite a few private information. So ideally I want to prevent users from downloading other user's logs. This should ideally be limited to the thread as well (so the original thread opener as well as specific user groups should be able to download files attached to posts in the thread, but no one else). Is such a setup possible or alternatively does Xenforo provide the necessary hooks to add such a feature through a mod without patching the existing source code?

Okay, that is everything for now. Looking forward to your replies :).

Xenforo does have an importer to import an existing IPB forum. Does Xenforo use the same hashing scheme for passwords or do all users get a new password? What about users that logged in through social networks like Facebook or Twitter? Are those converted properly? What about custom fields in user profiles?

Yes, there is a built in importer, and yes all of these should be handled by it fine :)

In these sections normal users can only reply to topics that they created. This is done to prevent users from giving advice to other users which can be quite risky if they don't know exactly what they are doing. Is such a setup possible using the Xenforo default permissions? If not, does Xenforo provide the necessary hooks to extend the permission system without having to patch the existing source files?

Only posting to ones own created thread is not a default permission, however can be done a variety of ways, I believe there is an addon which can handle this, otherwise you could do it by extending the relevent controller yourself or using some template edits.

What about attachments? Malware removal logs contain quite a few private information. So ideally I want to prevent users from downloading other user's logs. This should ideally be limited to the thread as well (so the original thread opener as well as specific user groups should be able to download files attached to posts in the thread, but no one else). Is such a setup possible or alternatively does Xenforo provide the necessary hooks to add such a feature through a mod without patching the existing source code?

Okay, that is everything for now. Looking forward to your replies :).

As above :)

We are migrating VB5 > IPB > xenForo. Passwords are not translating from IPB > xenForo but did translate from VB5 > IPB. There is a "remember_key" set but no SHA info (not expected since the two are not interchangable). This thread and a few others state that passwords will translate. Is there an admin parameter that needs setting to utilize the imported passwords?

Top Bottom