Resource icon

Conversation Improvements by Xon 1.3.15

No permission to download
Yes, it is called a search index. You need to completely rebuild it to fully remove indexed conversation data, this is a limitation of XenForo's search if you want to be compatible with Elastic Search or MySQL fulltext search.

And frankly, the overheads this add-on adds is nothing more but "more stuff indexed". If that throws your site over the edge, it was living halfway over anyway.

You can use my Elastic Search Essentials to reduce the impact on search results, but this requires elastic search and the trade off is a vastly more complex search query.

Yes, it is called a search index. You need to completely rebuild it to fully remove indexed conversation data, this is a limitation of XenForo's search if you want to be compatible with Elastic Search or MySQL fulltext search.
Yep, I know. The index was deleted & rebuild after the install and after the uninstall. I was expecting that would eliminate the overhead and it seems, it doesn´t. That´s what I´ve tried to point out - no offense at all -, although your surely right, that the limitations on memory size don´t have met each and every requirement. To be honest, we moved to the cloud in december and the memory size on the prior used server was set to 512M. I´ve noticed the 128M on the cloudserver and as there were no indications in the logs that this would be to less and the max usage was a 98M value til then, so I just let it sit. Indeed I just forgot to raise them again and didn´t realize that, when running into that overhead prob ;)

This option disables indexing, and prevents conversations form being considered for search. If this isn't working please, run the following SQL and tell me the results:
Conversation search is disabled (unchecked) in the Conv Ess Options.

SQL query result:

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 23.16.41.webp

Yet the rebuild caches shows Conversation Message and it remains indexed (but this is normal and expected per your message):

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 23.16.56.webp

However, it is not normal that front end search still returns results from conversations (and it keeps happening even after deleting ES Index and rebuilding all search indexes from scratch).

Can you think why they are searchable?

Also...

Conversation Improvements adds the backend support for Conversation Messages edit history, and it is because XenForo doesn't provide an option to disable it with the default UI.
Yes OK, but the "Last edit" appears even if I make an edit 1 minute after posting the conversation message. In the public posts, it only appears after 15 minutes (as per my ACP setting). The conversation message Last edit should respect that setting from ACP.

Last edited:
However, it is not normal that front end search still returns results from conversations (and it keeps happening even after deleting ES Index and rebuilding all search indexes from scratch).

Can you think why they are searchable?
Ugh, I'll need to dive into why that isn't working. The add-on should not index anything if the add-on is disabled or conversation search is disabled by Conversation Essentials (or you write a tiny add-on to set the 1 flag it uses).

Yes OK, but the "Last edit" appears even if I make an edit 1 minute after posting the conversation message. In the public posts, it only appears after 15 minutes (as per my ACP setting). The conversation message Last edit should respect that setting from ACP.
This has been listed as a known issue on the add-on's overview page. It doesn't look very hard to fix, just needs time :(

Ugh, I'll need to dive into why that isn't working. The add-on should not index anything if the add-on is disabled or conversation search is disabled by Conversation Essentials (or you write a tiny add-on to set the 1 flag it uses).
I appreciate it if you can take a look at this at your earliest convenience. We're paying almost close to $90 in annual renewal fees to you - the add-ons are great, but these small hiccups are something that Daniel Hood resolved in his add-ons and now they've been brought back.

For example, now that the conversations are still indexed even when I've chosen not to, the "Postings" tab in people's profiles is useless if they have been part of many recent conversations.

It shows "This member has no content" if they've had recently lots of convos but not public posts.

Before the add-ons were upgraded, the conversation disabling worked fine, and it also disabled the conversation search tab from the front-end. Postings tab in Profiles worked fine too.

Thanks for the great (and active) work though - I realize you're doing your best!

To be honest, this is why Elastic Search Essentials v2 exists. It solves this by, in general, only showing search results you are permitted to see.
So for example if a member had posted 15 public posts two weeks ago, and then 15 conversation messages one week ago, the "Postings" tab in their member profile would show the public posts, and not give the "This member has no recent posts" (or similar) message?

I guess we'll be getting the Essentials v2 then.

The conversation search could be useful if it doesn't interfere with the Postings tab, nor the default search results.

Basically I want the default search function to not look for conversations, but having the tab for conversation search would be acceptable if no interference with other search parts.

Thanks!

So for example if a member had posted 15 public posts two weeks ago, and then 15 conversation messages one week ago, the "Postings" tab in their member profile would show the public posts, and not give the "This member has no recent posts" (or similar) message?
Correct.

I guess we'll be getting the Essentials v2 then.
:D

The conversation search could be useful if it doesn't interfere with the Postings tab, nor the default search results.

Basically I want the default search function to not look for conversations, but having the tab for conversation search would be acceptable if no interference with other search parts.

Thanks!
Conversations which match (and that can be seen!) will show up in general search, but you can use Conversation Improvements to de-prioritize Conversations over other content types.

@Xon, feature suggesstion:
One of the biggest oversights with conversations is the inability to see when a user has either left the conversation, or the last time a participant user last viewed the conversation.
It would be great if, when viewing a conversation, the sidebar list of participants had the status (eg. Active | Stale | Left) and you could hover over the status and it would show the date of when the last activity was (eg. last viewed conversation or date left, etc.) Eg ....
Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 23.30.31.webp

Being able to re-add/invite people who have left a conversation back into conversations would be greatly welcomed too.
At the moment I have to hack around in the database to remove the records.
Might be a selling point for Essentials instead of Improvements....

@lazy llama @Mouth both of these features are basically in Conversation Essentials.

Conversation Essentials shows if someone has left, and can show their last read date. It however can't re-invite people who have left.

Last edited:
Yeah. I dropped the whole Essentials suite after the Syndol debacle.
huh...I guess I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I would also not like to pay for something twice

In short, Syndol (original creator of Conversation Essentials) left in late 2014 and gave/sold his add-ons to Daniel Hood, whom wanted end-users to purchase again and didn't do a good job of maintaining them. 18 mths later (early 2016) when Daniel gave/sold (most of) the add-ons to Xon, I didn't renew them again. No reflection on Xon, just that the Essentials suite became fractured (2 to Xon, 1 to Stuart Wright) and roi/value proposition was expensive when thinking about what had been received (pretty much sweet f all) in the 12-18 months prior and wondering about their future with Xon. Probably a bit to do with the sour taste in the mouth at the time too.

Anyway, not wanting to derail this thread, I can see that I should re-visit activating my Conversation Essentials license again if wanting the functionality I suggested. It's a large add-on for a small desired functionality though :)

Oh, I read the description twice and didn't see that as a feature. In fact it says exactly the opposite.
Whoops you are right. I've got another add-on which lets me force-add someone to a conversation which was confusing me on which feature was in which conversation add-on. Sorry.

No reflection on Xon, just that the Essentials suite became fractured (2 to Xon, 1 to Stuart Wright) and roi/value proposition was expensive when thinking about what had been received (pretty much sweet f all) in the 12-18 months prior and wondering about their future with Xon. Probably a
I will admit I've been very busy updating various add-ons to-do as much feature development as I wanted :(

Top Bottom