Resource icon

Conversation Improvements by Xon 1.3.15

No permission to download
Hey,

just noticed the update of Conversation Essentials to 1.12.0.

Is the additional add-on still needed when running the "Post Ratings" Plug-in, as this functionality is now in Conversation Improvements?

Is the additional add-on still needed when running the "Post Ratings" Plug-in, as this functionality is now in Conversation Improvements?
That is still a part of Conversation Essentials, but it is a free extra that I've granted to everyone who has a conversation essentials licence on my site.

For example; Conversation Essentials still lets you disable conversation search. Even tho Conversation Improvements actually implements the search.

That is still a part of Conversation Essentials, but it is a free extra that I've granted to everyone who has a conversation essentials licence on my site.

For example; Conversation Essentials still lets you disable conversation search. Even tho Conversation Improvements actually implements the search.
Thank you for your reply. I can't seem to find the compatibility add-on for Post Ratings, unfortunately.

Or is Conversation Essentials - Post Ratings Compatibility 1.0.1 still up to date?

Thank you for your reply. I can't seem to find the compatibility add-on for Post Ratings, unfortunately.
Under the licence for Conversation Essentials there is a "Optional Extra: Conversation Essentials - Post Rating support" section with a download link.

Or is Conversation Essentials - Post Ratings Compatibility 1.0.1 still up to date?
Yup. It is still the latest version.

@Xon have you gotten closer to merging the two addons or sorting out the features?
With Conversation Essentials 1.12.x, Conversation Essentials work with all my other search related add-ons. I've merged & sorted out some features, but not everything.

The split between free/paid will likely stay as-is until I port this add-on to XF2, at which point I'm unsure what will change.

With Conversation Essentials 1.12.x, Conversation Essentials work with all my other search related add-ons. I've merged & sorted out some features, but not everything.

The split between free/paid will likely stay as-is until I port this add-on to XF2, at which point I'm unsure what will change.
ah well. was holding out hope the conversation kick feature would end up on the free side.

Reactions: rdn
@Xon

How can I disable conversation indexing and search, like we used to be able to?

Before installing Conv Improvements and upgrading Conv Ess, I used to have an option in Conv Ess options to disable conversation searching, so they won't be indexed.

Now I don't have that option in Conv Ess options, and I can't find any options for Conv Improvements.

I need to disable the conversation indexing/searching because it screws up the regular post search (I don't want conversation messages indexed and included in the search results by default, nor even as an option - as otherwise you end up with less results for regular posts)

You even mention this yourself in the add-on description:
Due to XenForo's design, this addon impacts general 'everything' search as per search handler constrains are not invoked resulting in false positives which are removed by XenForo rather than the search subsystem.

And hence I'm surprised why you have removed the ability to disable / remove conversation indexing / search.

Before, when we didn't yet use Improvements, but only Essentials (the older version), we had that option to disable indexing / search of conversations.

UPDATE:

Actually, there is still an option in Conv Ess to disable the indexing / search of conversations.

But I have it unchecked already, and it still indexes / searches conversations.

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 22.29.39.webp

I'm going to try to enable it, save, then disable again.

UPDATE #2:

Nope. Didn't work. Conversation Messages are still indexed and able to be searched for (in search rebuild there is still the item "Conversation Message").

We use ElasticSearch for what it's worth.

UPDATE #3:

Fixed it by installing Enhanced Search Improvements and excluding Conversation and Conversation Message (priority 0) in the settings.

Still, the Conv Ess option to disable conversation indexing / search should do something ("update #1") - like it used to - but now it doesn't have an effect on our site.

There is no way to remove conv search completely like we had the option to before. Conv search tab is still available in the full search options and are included in the rebuild index options.

Please fix this :)

Another question, too:
How can I disable the "Last edit" timestamp in conversation messages? This feature has been forcefully added in some upgrade (I jumped several versions when upgrading to the latest one of Improvements and Essentials). Why not make these things options?

Last edited:
How can I disable conversation indexing and search, like we used to be able to?

Before installing Conv Improvements and upgrading Conv Ess, I used to have an option in Conv Ess options to disable conversation searching, so they won't be indexed.
If you have the latest version of Conversation Improvements and Conversation Essentials, there is an option to disable conversation search. (it is in the same place as it used to be in Conversation Essentials)

This option disables indexing, and prevents conversations form being considered for search. If this isn't working please, run the following SQL and tell me the results:

Code:
select convert(content_type using utf8), convert(field_name using utf8), convert(field_value using utf8) from xf_content_type_field where content_type in ('conversation','conversation_message','convess','convess_message') and field_name = 'search_handler_class';

There is no way to remove conv search completely like we had the option to before. Conv search tab is still available in the full search options and are included in the rebuild index options.

Please fix this :)
The 'disable search' option prevents conversation items from being indexed or searchable from the front-end. It does not remove it from the rebuild index options, this is by design.

It is an oversight that the conversation search tab is available.

Another question, too:
How can I disable the "Last edit" timestamp in conversation messages? This feature has been forcefully added in some upgrade (I jumped several versions when upgrading to the latest one of Improvements and Essentials). Why not make these things options?
Conversation Improvements adds the backend support for Conversation Messages edit history, and it is because XenForo doesn't provide an option to disable it with the default UI.

Hey @Xon ,

installed this the first time and run into a little problem. When I try to start a search from doamin.com/search/ and click on the tab "Conversation search" the page /search/?type=conversation_message comes up as a blank page . The server logged a weired error, as this forums are still in the building process and just have a few test threads:

[Sat Feb 11 12:49:00.818797 2017] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 57335] [client XX.XXX.86.198:XXXXX] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/myhost.com/httpdocs/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 276\nPHP message: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/myhost.com/httpdocs/library/XenForo/Error.php on line 1\n', referer: https://myhost.com/search/

134 Mb should be pretty fine for nearly everything, or? On the other hand searching via the search link inside the conversation sub-menu works as intended and spits out the results without any error.

Any idea?

@Xon , unfortunaly it gets even more worse. It´s not only the conversation search that isn´t working as mentioned above, it´s now every search function using the "?type=" tag. I´ve uninstalled the addon as deactivating hadn´t helped, but the search refuses to work. Guess I could need some help... (n)

FYI: I´m using XF 1.5.11 / PHP 7.1 / Apache on a cloudserver.

Last edited:
134 Mb should be pretty fine for nearly everything,
Highly doubtful. I've seen the XF developers strongly recommend 256mb limit for just XenForo. Never mind with add-ons which can increase memory usage.

@Xon , unfortunaly it gets even more worse. It´s not only the conversation search that isn´t working as mentioned above, it´s now every search function using the "?type=" tag. I´ve uninstalled the addon as deactivating hadn´t helped, but the search refuses to work. Guess I could need some help... (n)
If it isn't working with this add-on uninstalled or deactivated, you simple aren't allowing enough memory for XenForo to use.

Highly doubtful. I've seen the XF developers strongly recommend 256mb limit for just XenForo. Never mind with add-ons which can increase memory usage.

If it isn't working with this add-on uninstalled or deactivated, you simple aren't allowing enough memory for XenForo to use.

Xon, I would follow you by your statement
  • if the search wouldn´t have worked before without problems,
  • if - on the same server, in the same config - 2 other xenforos wouldn´t be running flawlessly for years and we never came across a memory limit and
  • if the forums I´d installed your addon at wouldn´t be a copy of one of those 2 other forums.
I was working on that forum now for 3 weeks and until the minute before I installed the conversation improvements, everything was just running fine there.
Anyway, I´ve raised the limits on this vhost already and sure, that solved the issue - but may be you wanna check your addon, as it clearly changes something in xf that persists even beyond the point of unistallation.

Top Bottom