Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Nice work here Chris, and thanks to Stuart for having Chris do this and offer it at such a reasonable price. I can see this being a big hit on my forums. I do have a question, which may turn into a suggestion for future development of the competitions addon. Is a question and answer competition the only type of competition this is going to be able to do? We do competitions on my forums, and have for years. Sometimes they take the format of a question and the winners are chosen from those who get the answer correct. But, sometimes we do other type of competitions. Some would, I imagine, be a good fit for this addon. For example, right now we're doing a competition on my sports card forum, and people who enter the competition upload a picture of their favorite card from their collection. The card that gets the most votes wins. If something like that isn't already planned, would you consider adding it?

Thanks Peter.

Similar things have been suggested before.

Of course I also develop a Gallery add-on too.

So, naturally, with that, people have suggested implementing photo contests via the Gallery. And that's essentially the type of competition you're running at the moment.

Where the eventual functionality sit, whether that be within a gallery, within the competitions add-on or somewhere in between I'm not sure yet. But it is on my to-do list to look into it.

You may be interested in this thread where it has been discussed in the context of the Gallery: http://xenmediagallery.com/threads/photo-video-contests.456

But, yeah, to answer the immediate question, right now the Competitions add-on only provides a Q&A type system, and a winner (or winners) is picked randomly from those that submitted a correct answer.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I wouldn't mind having the photo competitions use XMG features in some way, since I'm already using that (and will continue to roll it out to my other forums), but I wouldn't want to have competitions living in multiple different places. Just this morning I watched the video that Stuart made for this addon, and I like the features it offers, and if I were going to use it I'd want the photo competitions to have the same features as the Q&A competitions.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I wouldn't mind having the photo competitions use XMG features in some way, since I'm already using that (and will continue to roll it out to my other forums), but I wouldn't want to have competitions living in multiple different places. Just this morning I watched the video that Stuart made for this addon, and I like the features it offers, and if I were going to use it I'd want the photo competitions to have the same features as the Q&A competitions.
Sure. Which is why I said something in between. By the same token, people probably don't want photos to be living in different places. So somewhere, there will need to be a compromise. But what that is I have no idea yet :p

Sure. Which is why I said something in between. By the same token, people probably don't want photos to be living in different places. So somewhere, there will need to be a compromise. But what that is I have no idea yet :p
I can imagine something like a photo competition where people enter the competition by linking to a specific photo they already have uploaded in XMG. That might work nicely.

I've tried various ways of running our monthly photo comp, and always come back to a poll in a thread. Tried it one month getting people to rate photos in an XMG gallery, and that really didn't work - and almost ended in a stewards enquiry...

So for now I continue with a thread with a poll and then paste images from a category I setup in XMG for people to submit their entries. Simple and it works. It also keeps emphasis on the forum by having a thread they can discuss the competition in.

All that said, I'd love to see what Chris might potentially come up with either in this add on or in XMG :)

I'd also like to see some added functionality that would include photo contests. I love the idea behind this add-on and would be much more likely to buy it if photo contests were supported in some way. I almost exclusively hold photo competitions and I also use XMG so somehow linking the two would be useful for me.

What about now?

If not, then I probably have the wrong email for you and you'll have to let me know what to update it to.

You will have to let me know what your paypal email address was at the time you ordered so I can find the order and resend it.

Really want to buy this addon, it's just a bit too expensive. Hopefully can purchase in the near future. (: Just got a few other addons I need to purchase before this one.

Chris D updated Competitions for XenForo with a new update entry:

Small bug fix

A small bug has been discovered and resolved that may cause server errors when posting in a competition thread.

Please note that Competitions for XenForo is fully compatible with XenForo 1.4 Beta.

The update has been sent around by email. If this doesn't arrive, please find any email you have previously received about it, and click the download link in that to download the most recent version.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I am also looking for a photo competition add-on, so let me know how we can make that happen, if at all possible...thanks

Yup looking for future update that allows competitions with certain entries to allow us to chose the winner, it would be amazing if could allow file upload of pics, or just normal fields! (it can make use of the actual xenforo system for custom fields on competitions).

There is so much potential for this addon that is a waste to let it like this.

Yes, I'd really love it if a member had to do an "action" to automatically gain an entry into a comp, whether that be create a thread, enter a photo, make a post, or make a review (with XR) etc . However, I do realise this probably sounds much easier than it is to actually program.

I have considered creating a competition user group and then adding members to that group when they have completed an action so they could then enter the comp but then that's starting to get a little convoluted...

The problem I have found with Q&A is the unfortunate instances of inactive members coming back just to enter (and sometimes winning) comps then buggering off again - I'd like to make members work a bit harder for the prize :) For now I've hidden the comp nav bar until I work out a better way to use it. Don't get me wrong, I think this addon is great and has heaps of potential!

Top Bottom