Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

What do you mean?
I missed your edit... What do you mean?
I thought this would could post, thread and likes and assigned "points" to them which could be added up after 1, 3 or 6 months for example.
That's how a contest mod I had before in vbulletin worked and I missed it when we moved to xenforo.
I don't think the way the current competition mod is setup, that it'll be much use to myself.

You could give a vendor the permission to created and edit their own competitions, but withhold the ability to publish so that you can check it first, take payment and then publish.

I noticed that last night when I re watched the video. Good job on that BTW.

James

I thought this would could post, thread and likes and assigned "points" to them which could be added up after 1, 3 or 6 months for example.
That's how a contest mod I had before in vbulletin worked and I missed it when we moved to xenforo.
I don't think the way the current competition mod is setup, that it'll be much use to myself.

Are you talking about a contest for the most post during a set period or most likes and so on? If that is the case then this is nothing like that at all.

This can still add a lot of value to any community.

James

No, still don't understand you.
Right now this add-on is essentially a quiz contest with a random winner. Brandon is after creating a competition that for, example, he could start on January 1 and end on March 31 and the winner would be the entrant who posted to the forums the most during that time period, or perhaps the person who received the most XF "likes" during that time. In short, a way of using competitions to drive increased activity to the forums rather than targeting already active members.

Right now this add-on is essentially a quiz contest with a random winner. Brandon is after creating a competition that for, example, he could start on January 1 and end on March 31 and the winner would be the entrant who posted to the forums the most during that time period, or perhaps the person who received the most XF "likes" during that time. In short, a way of using competitions to drive increased activity to the forums rather than targeting already active members.

I think your right but that can be done with this and the mod I mentioned earlier. The bonus of doing it this way is that you do t have people giving up because of that one member that never seems to work that is posting all day long.

So the member that givers you 50 posts still has a chance against a member that does 25 a day.

James

I wouldn't judge peoples' worth on the number of posts, either. The number of positive post ratings is the way to go.
Anyhow, if you wanted to award someone with a prize for the most positive ratings to a forum, then that's a different addon altogether.

It just comes down to the community in question; an old established community that is very active doesn't need to worry about trying to drum up postings while a newer and/or quieter community might be looking at competitions as a way of helping to get the members out of lurking.

Either way though I've already picked up one license to put through its paces. ;)

Is there any chance we might have a default thread creation destination? I don't want to let sponsors choose a location and instead have all competitions be created in a special competition node.

He wants the winner to have the 'most" for a time period. Such as most posts, most threads started, most referrals, etc. Or any combination of the aforementioned. He got spoiled using my old easy contest mod for vBulletin. lol
Definitely a good way for new or stagnating forums to help generate more content - I could do with that ;)

Is it possible to see who has entered the competition? Also I think I really do need a new permissions set that excludes usergroups. The inclusion only doesn't work for my usergroup setup.
List of entrants not a bad idea.
How do your permissions work, because Competition permissions are set up to work with how XF permissions are supposed to be used.
Is there any chance we might have a default thread creation destination? I don't want to let sponsors choose a location and instead have all competitions be created in a special competition node.
Good idea.
He wants the winner to have the 'most" for a time period. Such as most posts, most threads started, most referrals, etc. Or any combination of the aforementioned. He got spoiled using my old easy contest mod for vBulletin. lol
I get it.
When Chris has updated his media gallery addon, I will ask him to look into theses ideas.

List of entrants not a bad idea.
How do your permissions work, because Competition permissions are set up to work with how XF permissions are supposed to be used.
Good idea.
I get it.
When Chris has updated his media gallery addon, I will ask him to look into theses ideas.
All users have a base level primary usergroup of "Registered". All additional groups are added depending on who they are. For instance..."Staff", "Donor", etc.

The problem is that if I allow "Registered" to enter...that's everyone. Even if I don't check off "Staff", because it's secondary it doesn't matter. They can still enter. I've tested it. So I need to exclude specific usergroups. In this case I could exclude "Staff" and then staff could not enter.

At the moment they can and I cannot even remove them from the participants list...

I see where you are coming from.
Is it excluding your staff which is your concern?
Our unpaid moderators are allowed to enter and win because I don't want to penalise them for helping the community.
Our paid staff wouldn't enter because they know it's not appropriate. If I had to exclude them programatically, that's saying I couldn't trust them. And if that's the case, should they be staff?

I see where you are coming from.
Is it excluding your staff which is your concern?
Our unpaid moderators are allowed to enter and win because I don't want to penalise them for helping the community.
Our paid staff wouldn't enter because they know it's not appropriate. If I had to exclude them programatically, that's saying I couldn't trust them. And if that's the case, should they be staff?
They aren't paid. But I really do not want my staff entering. The last time a staff member won a manual contest I ran all hell broke loose.

This is why I need the functionality. Makes my life easier.

Ah, I'm dumb. I just needed to revoke the ability to enter the competition from usergroup directly, not the competition.

However I would love to see who has entered the contest. Can I edit the database manually?

Top Bottom