Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Thanks. :) After reading 6 pages of discussion, the RM, and watching the YouTube video I may have been burnt out looking for one particular link.
Haha, usually I am not reading everything, I just press CTRL + F and enter there the word I am looking for (branding) and most of the time it works very well :)

Haha, usually I am not reading everything, I just press CTRL + F and enter there the word I am looking for (branding) and most of the time it works very well :)
I actually did a search for it! :D I searched for "branding" in the search box for "this thread only" and got results but not the link. What I missed was that the results didn't include the overview page (which would be a nice feature change request for the RM; I must remember to post that later when I have time).

How the hell did I miss this!
Oh.. it's only been around a few weeks...lol

Great work Chris, I'll be picking this up real soon!!

Do you have any live links @Chris Deeming of the front end screenshots or other examples?

thanks

A competition addon is a great idea IMHO I don't mean just as an incentive for a community but as a tool for an admin who wants to include competitions. This seems much easier to create than my last feeble attempt at creating a comp for a free book voucher using the existing forum system - not only was managing the comp a PITA (even for my tiny forum) but constructing it in a standard post format looked pathetic.

I'm getting this...

It would be nice (as others have said) to incorporate some extra alternate comp entry conditions; such as, best photo/or must include a photo to enter etc but Q&A is definitely fine for now and good enough for me to buy it.

Installed and am now just running a basic competition through as a live test.

Terms and Conditions question. Is it possible to get rid of/edit this rule somehow? I don't have any employees, and wouldn't want my moderators excluded as they are all volunteers. Obviously I could just ignore the rule, but members could start grumbling if a mod wins....
upload_2013-9-25_15-8-15.webp

Hopefully I haven't missed anything in this thread about it.

You can edit this out of the template. It's in the avforums_competitions_view template search for "Terms" in that template and you should see this default term in there.

Let me know if you can't find it. I'm away from my desk at the minute so will take a look later.

Would I remove this whole section?

Code:
<li>
                                <xen:if is="{$competition.sponsor}">
                                    <div class="">
                                        {xen:phrase avforums_competitions_competitiontype_not_open_to_employees_of_x_or_y, 'sponsor={$competition.sponsor}', 'site={$xenOptions.boardTitle}', 'competitiontype={$competitionType}'}
                                    </div>
                                <xen:else />
                                    <div class="">
                                        {xen:phrase avforums_competitions_competitiontype_not_open_to_employees_of_y, 'site={$xenOptions.boardTitle}', 'competitiontype={$competitionType}'}
                                    </div>
                                </xen:if>
                            </li>

Thanks @Martok

Oh I just realized this isn't for post count, likes or threads.. :(

You could have a couple of things added to @Waindigo promotion criteria add on. If you had something like "user has made X amount of post in the last 30 days" added the. You should be able to limit this to people posting and so on. As long as it demotes someone after they drop below the limit.

Doing that would keep people who just log in to enter the contest and run from winning.

James

Thanks @Martok

Oh I just realized this isn't for post count, likes or threads.. :(
What do you mean?

Doing that would keep people who just log in to enter the contest and run from winning.

James
Since it's possible to define which usergroups can enter competitions, we intend to create competitions mainly for people who are Members rather than New Members.
New Members have to get a few likes before they become Members.
And so most competitions aren't open to New Members.
However, I think it's wise to specifically have some competitions open to New Members in order to encourage people to register. Some might stick around.

What do you mean?

Since it's possible to define which usergroups can enter competitions, we intend to create competitions mainly for people who are Members rather than New Members.
New Members have to get a few likes before they become Members.
And so most competitions aren't open to New Members.
However, I think it's wise to specifically have some competitions open to New Members in order to encourage people to register. Some might stick around.

I agree. For some, they want to use it to encourage members to post. With this, as long as they meet the requirements, they can enter. So if they need 5 likes and 100 posts, once they are there they are locked in. They don't have to post again to be able to enter a contest. They could stop in, enter and move on. But I think by using the add on I was talking about, they can achieve that. There is another add on that will allow you to get tickets if you post X amount of times. I had plans to buy and then this popped up. I plan on buying this one in the next week or so. I like how a vendor can create the contest.

How do you handle payment for the vendors that do a contest? If I want to charge per contest, is there a way to stop it from going live till I'm paid? Do I need to approve the contest before goes live?

I have been reading about a lot of mods and sometimes some features stick in your mind and you start to think it is apart of another mod. Because of that I think I should watch the video again. I'm sure some of my questions are answered in there.

James

Top Bottom