• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

CometChat - Facebook style chat bar for xenForo

I like the style of this and the functionality. I don't like that it's such a resource hog. Any chance it's a configuration issue or the code can be cleaned to alleviate the issue?

I really don't think it is possible to have a non java chat that is not a resource hog due to the refresh. If you don't refresh often enough to get new messages then it would seem laggy. If you refresh often enough so it seems like it is like a java chat then you are using more resources.

I have it on my one XF site but we only have maybe 4 members on at a time until things pick up. Once the site gets busier I will be taking it off. I am on a vps and you can tell a difference when cometchat is installed.

I bought this a couple of months ago for vbulletin, the server is dedicated im the only one on it, i have a shoutbox and vbplaza and a number of other high usage modifications, and nothing dragged down my server like this did 500-1000 sometimes more active users. its good for small sites.

then i was charge like 4 times of the software and it took around 2 weeks to get my money back, filed a claim with no response on paypal
Since the purchase was made through 2checkout we do not have direct access to respond to claims. We have refunded the extra purchases.
but 2checkout should have contacted you correct?....they told me they were going to

I just took a look at CometChat as a solution for my site. Initially I liked the service but now I am hesitant based on some issues I experienced in the demo, my realization the demo shows a $500 version, not the $50 version, and the issues shared in this thread. It would be a good idea for CometChat to provide 1 free license to XF for use on this site (assuming Kier and the gang would allow it) so that we could see the product in action and know first hand the answers to the many questions we have.

As for some of the questions in this thread, I located answers in the site's Q&A:
http://www.cometchat.com/faq

Do you use true Comet technology?
By default CometChat is set to use smart-polling i.e. CometChat will poll depending on user activity. If you activate our CometService, then CometChat will switch over to true Comet technology. No special hardware/software is required on your server and the true Comet technology will work even on shared servers.

What is your refund policy?
We can only provide refunds in the case that CometChat cannot be properly installed on your server. This means that both you and the CometChat staff are unable to install CometChat properly.

Are there any additional costs involved in using screen sharing plugin?
Our screen sharing plugin uses Adobe LiveCycle Collaboration Service in which you receive free quota of $15 every month.

What is CometService priced at?
CometService is available at following rates:

Upto 75,000 messages for $19/month
Upto 300,000 messagesfor $49/month
Upto 750,000 messages for $99/month

I'm on the fence on this plugin. Looks great, members would probably love it. I'm on a dedicated server, but I have concerns over it affecting the speed of the site. Can you disable things like video chat, games? One member here mentioned how posts decreased, since people were chatting. That too is a big concern.

I'd love to hear from folks who have it installed. How is it working for you?

video is a $500 option so you don't have to worry about that :) Games can be disabled. I've seen some users reply it works fine, no issues, while others say it has a significant impact on their server.

I wish this add-on was more integrated then I'd buy. It doesn't even have Avatar support! And you need to make a template edit exactly below the hook? I e-mailed them and they told me they didn't have time to create a plugin for all these different forum software, so they have one code for all of them.

Apparently ArrowChat is going to be better and will use jQuery.

I'm on the fence on this plugin. Looks great, members would probably love it. I'm on a dedicated server, but I have concerns over it affecting the speed of the site. Can you disable things like video chat, games? One member here mentioned how posts decreased, since people were chatting. That too is a big concern.

I'd love to hear from folks who have it installed. How is it working for you?

I am trying to build a good community, and right after buying xenforo, I bought cometchat.

It could have been better then it is, but works anyhow. You will lose some posts, or PMs, but for a modern community I think its a needed feature, at least for some groups. Still, I wish I had heard about arrowchat before I bought it, cause then I might have tried that one first.

I bought the 129$ version. But I think I could have done quite well with the 49$ version.

Just to address the concerns, the basic engine behind it is the same no matter what edition you buy. The difference comes in the form of plugins... videochat ->plugin. Screensharing ->plugin.

Think of the $500 as xf unbranded and $49 as branded. Same thing, few extra features.

Not really, the branded version has no features missing and doesn't affect functionality at all.
Yes, in a sense.
The $49 of CC has no features missing just like the $140 of xf has no branding. /sarcasm
What do you want to do with CC? Chat? Guess what, the $49 and the $500 operate the exact same way for chat. Video Chat? yes, CC basic doesn't have video chat plugin, but can be added (just like branding can be removed) in a few seconds without a re-install.

All I was saying was all versions of CC operate the same, and the cost just indicates what extra features you get. CC used to be just chat, video, screensharing, etc came much later on...

You compared it to the branded/unbranded version of XF. That's wrong. It's more like comparing it to VB where you can buy the forum but if you want the CMS/Blog you need to buy the whole suite at a higher cost.

You pay more for more functionality above the base level, fair enough assuming that it's not marketed using that extra functionality which is what the complaints earlier were about.

Is there a way I can use this only with certain user groups? Like, say I only want groups 3,5,6 to be able to see it.

Are games worth having via cometchat? Why not just post flash games as the start of a thread and in their own forum?

Looks like a nice Chat script for my xF - Got a coupon code for the pro version, please?

The comet service is pretty much essential for cometchat. Took our VPS w/100 ppl on the site from a load of 2...upto 60. With comet service it was back down to the 2-3 range.

While envolve is based purely of number of users that could be chatting, it is very snappy and has very little impact on the server. We just need to convince them that there's enough of us around to bother with writing the plugin.

I do see that arrowchat has a decent plugin for XF, but no server offloading/hosted solutions *yet* (though I do hear soon....!)

The comet service is pretty much essential for cometchat. Took our VPS w/100 ppl on the site from a load of 2...upto 60. With comet service it was back down to the 2-3 range.

Which plan worked for your situation? I'm trying to get a good idea of which to choose, because I don't know how fast 100,000 messages would go :D

Top Bottom