• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

CometChat - Facebook style chat bar for xenForo

VERY NICE ADDON. It is a paid addon, but still very good.

We want more more more!

Keep up the good work CometChat!!

First...

To integrate this with your wordpress homepage, simply use the xenforo integration and then, at the end of the install it goves you 2 lines of code to add to your template. Simply use the same code and add it to your wordpress template.

Second...
Demo: phpchatsoftware.com/xenforo

I would rather have a regular chat popup window, and not the facebook style, is that possible?

Thats not cool... lol
but, really does it slow down the website and what are the effect to big boards

it's a great mod, but yes it does put a lot of server load. The bigger the board the slower it gets with this mod.

I love the idea and liked using it on vB and it may be excellent for something like facebook. But for a forum, I found it killed my activity. Everyone just used cometchat instead of posting.

I think the standalone version is the best for a website, that does't have chatting or forum capabilities.

it's a great mod, but yes it does put a lot of server load. The bigger the board the slower it gets with this mod.

I love the idea and liked using it on vB and it may be excellent for something like facebook. But for a forum, I found it killed my activity. Everyone just used cometchat instead of posting.

I think the standalone version is the best for a website, that does't have chatting or forum capabilities.
Standalone has chatting and chatroom, however you need to integrate it yourself to make it work.
As far as chatrooms, they can be disabled with a few clicks.

As far as one on one chat, I am sure you can nuke the sql tables in the integrations file and cause it not to work. A little more complex, but doable.

As far as load, they do offer a service to move the load to their servers. See http://www.cometchat.com/cometservice

Standalone has chatting and chatroom, however you need to integrate it yourself to make it work.
As far as chatrooms, they can be disabled with a few clicks.

As far as one on one chat, I am sure you can nuke the sql tables in the integrations file and cause it not to work. A little more complex, but doable.

As far as load, they do offer a service to move the load to their servers. See http://www.cometchat.com/cometservice

yeah I just noticed their service earlier, so I guess that would help.

Like I said it's a great product, and I support the idea. I just found it killed my forum posting activity, as everyone mostly used cometchat a majority of the time.

Is anyone else that is using cometchat finding that it slows your site down. Mine just seems to take forever to load. Also is there a way of updating cometchat as i was hoping an update may fix this?

Does this version have ACP options yet? i used this on a vB site when it was still a very young product, and didn't care for the lack of easy to adjust options.. Any and all changes required edits to the XML back then. Plus it really jacked up my server loads. I also never liked how you had to be a friend to connect to another user.. As a forum admin i didn't want to add each and every member i needed to talk to quickly to my friends list..

Is anyone else that is using cometchat finding that it slows your site down. Mine just seems to take forever to load. Also is there a way of updating cometchat as i was hoping an update may fix this?

Updates are really simple. Overwrite the files and sometimes run the install.php for new tables.

Does this version have ACP options yet? i used this on a vB site when it was still a very young product, and didn't care for the lack of easy to adjust options.. Any and all changes required edits to the XML back then. Plus it really jacked up my server loads. I also never liked how you had to be a friend to connect to another user.. As a forum admin i didn't want to add each and every member i needed to talk to quickly to my friends list..

ACP is nicely built. Just about everything is now controllable from there. You can set a switch that it shows all online users for vB as well.

I used it on VB... and have it on my forum now, but I'm not as happy with it on xenforo, because the friends system doesn't exist, so if someone follows you, they can then chat with you, without your control. If it added people you follow only, then that would be different, but it adds people to your list of IM buddies based on who follow you. The only other choice is purely whoever is online... though you can turn it off uniquely.

I am also finding it interferes with some other aspects, like it will through the shoutbox out when used in conjunction, it also hinders some video aspects with display... maybe just too much JS.

but wouldnt that be the same, you follow someone and they dont want you on theirs?

It should check if your both following each other.

Top Bottom