• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

CometChat - Facebook style chat bar for xenForo

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and say the dev doesn't check these boards. If you want something changed, bets way would be to submit a support ticket.

I have experience with cometchat, it is a resource hog, even for a chat. Yes, it slows down your site. Although you can pay alot more and have them host it. I eventually gave up on it. I looked into skysa, which isn't that bad, and arrowchat.

I later made my own for SMF(but without the chat part).

I have experience with cometchat, it is a resource hog, even for a chat. Yes, it slows down your site. Although you can pay alot more and have them host it. I eventually gave up on it. I looked into skysa, which isn't that bad, and arrowchat.

I later made my own for SMF(but without the chat part).
skysa, footerchat, wiybia, 2si (for smf) are all free alternatives. Arrowchat is probably the best paid (imo probably better then cc) and is made by Jason, a former cometchat customer to address all the things he hated about cc.

Some stats about server load would be good yeah.

Good job my forum is pretty small but it's a fun thing to have on.

Added to my to-buy list :D (will be keeping an eye on this thread to see updates as i'm a little weary about the server load).

It didn't do a thing to my server load. Users use it, but unless your forum has thousands on at once, and then every single member was actually using it, which is extremely unlikely... it doesn't even put a ripple in server resources.

Is there an admin demo, as if I click the admin panel demo none of the users work fromt he first post in the admin demo?

im hesitant if i should select this because i used comet chat on wordpress and had 200 users and my server load went 100% and the server stopped responding. WAs forced to reboot httpd and eventually the server load went up again. I only notice it was cometchat fault when i removed the script as the server load went back to normal. Had 200 online chatting and also using nginx so i would say comtchat is not recommended for large traffic site

Is there an admin demo, as if I click the admin panel demo none of the users work fromt he first post in the admin demo?
Try using this one if you are not getting signed in to admin automatically. http://cometchat.com/beta/
Can you please add a plugin for my users to turn off if desired?
See the conditional above? Use it in reverse, add a custom profile field that is default yes, and then if you select no, you can no longer see the bar. Something like "If field 1 is no, then move on..."
im hesitant if i should select this because i used comet chat on wordpress and had 200 users and my server load went 100% and the server stopped responding. WAs forced to reboot httpd and eventually the server load went up again. I only notice it was cometchat fault when i removed the script as the server load went back to normal. Had 200 online chatting and also using nginx so i would say comtchat is not recommended for large traffic site
Won't lie here. Some people have success with 200+, some don't. There is always the cometservice. And I think there is some sort of money back within x days.

then i assume the sites you seen with good success are using faster rpm drivers or ssd since i have 7200rpm

I don't know their server specs, I just know that they have over 200+ online at any given time with CC and no issues. Pages load within seconds...

I just dived back into the CC and Arrow chats myself. Granted I don't have a dedicated server so....
But yes, both CC and Arrow (similar in operation) terribly slow down your server.
Also, with both products, there are some major issues with IE6. OK, so shoot the users still using IE6, but some of mine are government and are FORCED to use it by group policy.
IMO, Wibya is a better option, the only thing missing is the public chat room which is added via a third-party (think TinyChat) add-on.
I don't think I'll be use either on my xF install.

indeed, imagine having comet chat when you are on shared or vps. Becuase my entire server load went to 100 and i was on dedicated server with x3460 so it would easily slow down many websites

The only problem that I'm facing right now is that it's only working for the default style on our forum. Once you switch out to a different skin, the chat bar as a whole disappears.

The only problem that I'm facing right now is that it's only working for the default style on our forum. Once you switch out to a different skin, the chat bar as a whole disappears.

You would have to put the code that you put in the PAGE_CONTAINER template just below the <head> tag in your default style in your other styles as well.

I like the style of this and the functionality. I don't like that it's such a resource hog. Any chance it's a configuration issue or the code can be cleaned to alleviate the issue?

Top Bottom