Colour vs Color - why is it so hard to correct? Why is it so?

Mouth

xF is primarily a British product, and thus I don't understand why the American spelling for colour is used so prolifically ?
My primary/parent language and locale are both English (UK), yet usage of the word Colour everywhere (I'm primarily talking about ACP here) uses American spelling.
Even creating a new top level language, with English (UK) as the locale, has the American spelling for everything. A phrase search for 'colour' gives zero results.

Editing the phrase 'color' and changing it's text to 'Colour' seems to achieve nothing. Does anything, anywhere, use this phrase? And it doesn't seem this phrase's value is inherited anywhere else too. Arrgghhh ... looks to be at least 30 or so core xF phrases that need to be edited to have the correct English (UK) spelling. And then there's the exponentially number of more phrases that need to be edited from add-on's using the incorrect American spelling in their phrases too!

Why is the 'color' phrases value not inherited by other phrases? It would then be a simple once-off phrase edit to fix your site so that it's spelling matches it's locale's language.

Fist-Pump.jpg

It's late on a Monday night, and I've just spent a few hours with colour palette and phrases - think I should have had a few beverages in front of the TV instead :)

51a20a98-2da9-11e6-8fdc-aed4ef1ba455.jpg

Last edited:
xF is primarily a British product, and thus I don't understand why the American spelling for colour is used so prolifically ?
The entirety of XF's phrases are using US English, so it won't just be color vs colour. But that's the only text we ship by default and the base language we create out of the box us "English (US)".

If you've created an "English (UK)" language, it's more than just selecting the locale. You'd have to customize (translate) the phrases that differ.

The "color" phrase is used in some places, but only where exactly that word is used on its own -- it wouldn't be used by "text color" for example. The individual phrases need to be translated.

Arrgghhh ... looks to be at least 30 or so core xF phrases that need to be edited to have the correct English (UK) spelling.
You can export the parent language, find and replace the words you need to, and import the edited version as a child.

Colour is English UK correct one

Color is incorrect USA, but already mixed up

now, most in UK say: He don't know, instead of does not know.

Also note that in CSS, it's exclusively color, which my muscle memory still screws up after all these years, which may also be a factor in some cases.

Colour is English UK correct one
And Canadian, though spellcheckers seem determined to switch us to US spellings.

han solo GIF

The entirety of XF's phrases are using US English, so it won't just be color vs colour. But that's the only text we ship by default and the base language we create out of the box us "English (US)".
Embarrassed Shame GIF

It's like centre and center - the number of times I've used centre in code to find I'm not getting what I want and realise it's down to er not re

Top Bottom