Coinbase Commerce Integration

Coinbase Commerce Integration [Paid] 1.0.2

No permission to buy (£25.00)
nanocode updated Crypto Payments with a new update entry:

Re. Support and updates period

We currently include 12 months complimentary support and updates with all license purchases. As of 1 May 2019, this will change to a 6 month period. As usual, it will be possible to renew licenses to extend the support and updates period.

Customers who have purchased licenses already, or purchase before 1 May 2019, will still have the standard 12 month support and updates period.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi! When will be released stable version?
As mentioned, the current version (although labelled beta) is stable and used on many communities actively. If it has the features you want, I'd recommend just purchasing this.

The aim is to have CoinPayments.net added and tested before changing the release version to 1.0, though. This is done but due to time constraints I haven't been able to test this yet, but it's planned to be done ASAP. Unfortunately no concrete timeline on that, but shouldn't be too long.

Hi @Robust,

If you were to guesstimate some sort of realistic timeframe on when coinpayments.net will be added, what would you think?

Thanks.
I hate to put timelines on things, as the priority will always be to release a build we're confident will be fit for purpose. Currently a bit tight on time and this is a very busy period of the year so this update has been delayed. For CoinPayments.net we're just aiming to do some testing as we've already got the gateway built, but haven't managed to find time to get this done yet. Since their API is a bit goofy there's some extra things I want to test just to be sure. Honestly hoping that I'll be able to get it done this weekend, but within the next month would be the latest. If it takes longer, it'll be added in the same update as Bitpay.

In the meantime, I can confirm the add-on currently is used on many forums (with Coinbase Commerce) with success. The aim is to add further gateways that offer good crypto gateway support that either support a number of coins, or support fiat. So CoinPayments.net and Bitpay are the next obvious additions for us.

Apologies for the inconvenience and delay in getting this out.

I hate to put timelines on things, as the priority will always be to release a build we're confident will be fit for purpose. Currently a bit tight on time and this is a very busy period of the year so this update has been delayed. For CoinPayments.net we're just aiming to do some testing as we've already got the gateway built, but haven't managed to find time to get this done yet. Since their API is a bit goofy there's some extra things I want to test just to be sure. Honestly hoping that I'll be able to get it done this weekend, but within the next month would be the latest. If it takes longer, it'll be added in the same update as Bitpay.

In the meantime, I can confirm the add-on currently is used on many forums (with Coinbase Commerce) with success. The aim is to add further gateways that offer good crypto gateway support that either support a number of coins, or support fiat. So CoinPayments.net and Bitpay are the next obvious additions for us.

Apologies for the inconvenience and delay in getting this out.

Thanks for getting back to me. Not a problem. Hanging out to see what the new update brings :)

Thanks.

any update on Coinpayments.net?
Just looked over my code and their docs and made sure it all looks good. Need to make some test payments to ensure it's all good, was about to do this but it seems like their system isn't letting me accept testnet coins without passing KYC verification. I didn't have an issue with this earlier, so I'm guessing they've changed something. Having to submit KYC for testnet transactions is pretty silly (no other large gateway, even those dealing in fiat, ask for this).

Submitted a ticket to get a resolution - can't really release until they allow my account to make some payments to test. Shouldn't be too long, hopefully.

Last edited:
Well, I've spoke to their ticket support.

CoinPayments.net changed their rules at some point, apparently. All accounts have to go through mandatory full KYC verification to accept any transactions via their platform, including their test platform using testnet coins. With their KYC verification they require a form of DL/passport, along with a selfie holding that ID, and all the regular KYC details, then await verification.

If Coinbase is the "enemy of the people" and against the principles of Bitcoin (privacy, anonymity, etc.) as a few have said in this thread, then CoinPayments.net seems far worse. Their verification requirements to process crypto alone are even stricter than Coinbase's requirements for fiat currencies. The Coinbase Commerce integration requires no verification to process crypto only, and Coinbase itself requires ID for fiat, but not a selfie with ID.

Bit of a headache for one integration, to be honest. Most likely CoinPayments.net will be scrapped off the planned gateways list (as I can't release an untested payment gateway) unless a verified account holder wishes to assist with testing, or if CP.net change their policy.

If anyone has suggestions for other gateways in its stead I'd be open to hear them. Bitpay is already planned. I've been suggested Mycelium and GoUrl as well. I'll take a look at GoUrl again and consider it. Mycelium is a possibility if the demand for it is higher.

Last edited:

CoinPayments.net changed their rules at some point, apparently. All accounts have to go through mandatory full KYC verification to accept any transactions via their platform, including their test platform using testnet coins. With their KYC verification they require a form of DL/passport, along with a selfie holding that ID, and all the regular KYC details, then await verification.

If Coinbase is the "enemy of the people" and against the principles of Bitcoin (privacy, anonymity, etc.) as a few have said in this thread, then CoinPayments.net seems far worse. Their verification requirements to process crypto alone are even stricter than Coinbase's requirements for fiat currencies. The Coinbase Commerce integration requires no verification to process crypto only, and Coinbase itself requires ID for fiat, but not a selfie with ID.

Bit of a headache for one integration, to be honest. Most likely CoinPayments.net will be scrapped off the planned gateways list (as I can't release an untested payment gateway) unless a verified account holder wishes to assist with testing, or if CP.net change their policy.

If anyone has suggestions for other gateways in its stead I'd be open to hear them. Bitpay is already planned. I've been suggested Mycelium and GoUrl as well. I'll take a look at GoUrl again and consider it. Mycelium is a possibility if the demand for it is higher.

Thanks for all the hard work. It is a shame CoinPayments took the road that they did. You may wish to consider https://bitwallet.zone/en

The service does not require any ID whatsoever. Perfect for crypto.

Thanks.

Check out https://coingate.com/

thats what i said from the beginning, that bitpay, coinbase, coinpayments are all the same

the only reason coinpayments didnt have KYC is because they were small, but they are recently getting bigger and bigger

as soon as they get more customers and get bigger and bigger, every company will implement KYC

you can't beat KYC, this is why i said it will not be worth your time to add any company, and better to make it without third party

might as well just use paypal,

most people who are using crypto most likely won't even get accepted in KYC because crypto people are almost all coming because paypal banned them or screwed them over

if you look at bitpay's terms it says also you can't do gambling and all that normal stuff paypal is against

bitpay isn't so big, like coinbase or coinpayments beause they only have 2 coins, so they don't enforce their terms ..yet

im still using siropu's manual crypto/bitcoin add-on with no third party and it works great, i am my own terms of service :cool:
siropus.png

Thanks for all the hard work. It is a shame CoinPayments took the road that they did. You may wish to consider https://bitwallet.zone/en

The service does not require any ID whatsoever. Perfect for crypto.

Thanks.
No problem. CoinPayments was attractive mainly due to the large number of coins supported. Bitcoin fees have been very awful recently, and confirmation times suck, which I think makes it less viable for actual payment use (especially for microtransactions). Ethereum is very quick confirmation, and has low fees. Other coins like Nano are instant confirmation and fee-less. I think these coins are better for forums. Nano adoption isn't great, even for crypto adoption, so stuff like Ethereum would be nice.

So any gateways that I'll implement should add something Coinbase Commerce doesn't. This hence creates two main categories:
1) Gateway w/ fiat support (using Coinbase Commerce -> Coinbase works, but Bitpay support is planned for this).
2) Supports coins not currently supported (CoinPayments would've met this condition, I can't seem to find others supporting a large number of coins).

A third would be users that cannot use Coinbase Commerce because their use case violates US law (or Coinbase terms, which mostly just reference anything that breaks US law). If the number of users that fit this is significant, I can consider something not US that could support these users. The provider would need to actually be reliable and legitimate though. For this I'm currently learning towards Mycelium (https://gear.mycelium.com/) - they do not require KYC and are based in Cyprus. I'll take alternatives if Mycelium is unsuitable, but I'd prefer services based in the EU.

The main aim for more gateways currently would be fiat gateways, and ideally a fiat gateway with ETH support, to support forum owners that want to accept cryptocurrencies for user convenience but do not wish to be exposed to any volatility or hassle.

No problem. CoinPayments was attractive mainly due to the large number of coins supported. Bitcoin fees have been very awful recently, and confirmation times suck, which I think makes it less viable for actual payment use (especially for microtransactions). Ethereum is very quick confirmation, and has low fees. Other coins like Nano are instant confirmation and fee-less. I think these coins are better for forums. Nano adoption isn't great, even for crypto adoption, so stuff like Ethereum would be nice.

So any gateways that I'll implement should add something Coinbase Commerce doesn't. This hence creates two main categories:
1) Gateway w/ fiat support (using Coinbase Commerce -> Coinbase works, but Bitpay support is planned for this).
2) Supports coins not currently supported (CoinPayments would've met this condition, I can't seem to find others supporting a large number of coins).

A third would be users that cannot use Coinbase Commerce because their use case violates US law (or Coinbase terms, which mostly just reference anything that breaks US law). If the number of users that fit this is significant, I can consider something not US that could support these users. The provider would need to actually be reliable and legitimate though. For this I'm currently learning towards Mycelium (https://gear.mycelium.com/) - they do not require KYC and are based in Cyprus. I'll take alternatives if Mycelium is unsuitable, but I'd prefer services based in the EU.

The main aim for more gateways currently would be fiat gateways, and ideally a fiat gateway with ETH support, to support forum owners that want to accept cryptocurrencies for user convenience but do not wish to be exposed to any volatility or hassle.

It would be great if you could implement a real crypto payment method. Something that can keep both the sellers and buyers anonymous. Forget going through these businesses who track everything. Something that will allow crypto to be used the way it should be. THAT would be awesome!

the only reason coinpayments didnt have KYC is because they were small, but they are recently getting bigger and bigger

as soon as they get more customers and get bigger and bigger, every company will implement KYC

you can't beat KYC, this is why i said it will not be worth your time to add any company, and better to make it without third party
The difference is Coinbase, etc., are required by law to carry out KYC. CoinPayments are not, as they do not touch fiat. They are not regulated by a financial authority, and (iirc) have had some sketchy stories in their history over the years.

I have no issue with KYC if I were accepting payments; it's necessary if dealing with fiat. I'm verified on Coinbase and Bitpay. But I have no intention of using CoinPayments myself (I only need an account for testing), and frankly don't trust that particular company with my ID even if I was. They're not required by law to do KYC afaik, so I'm not sure why they're doing more invasive KYC than banks and Coinbase/other exchanges.

Implementing support for crypto nodes manually is infeasible for the reasons listed earlier in the thread. It's excessive work, separate integrations for each coin would be required, and there's a bunch of issues if something goes wrong. It's hassle to maintain with node changes, there's often a requirement for forum owners (especially depending on the coin and its development stability) to stay up to date which is a problem, and even despite all this effort only a very, very small number of users would be so unable to use an existing solution that this would be feasible. It's economically unviable to go that route.

It would be great if you could implement a real crypto payment method. Something that can keep both the sellers and buyers anonymous. Forget going through these businesses who track everything. Something that will allow crypto to be used the way it should be. THAT would be awesome!
If you're aware of any such services that can provide this I'd be interested. There's some smaller ones for altcoins that somewhat support this that I'm aware of, but the reliability of these services to stay up is questionable and quite a few such services have died. It would be a waste of development effort to make integrations that sound good, but are either not going to be used enough, or the provider dies out.

If you're aware of any such services that can provide this I'd be interested. There's some smaller ones for altcoins that somewhat support this that I'm aware of, but the reliability of these services to stay up is questionable and quite a few such services have died. It would be a waste of development effort to make integrations that sound good, but are either not going to be used enough, or the provider dies out.

How about we skip the services completely? Let the Xenforo admin set up a Bitcoin address, Ether address, etc manually, and input that address via the payment profile settings in the Xenforo admin panel. Then there may be some way of knowing when a customer has paid the correct amount of crypto. Perhaps the crypto can be a set price? Or it can reflect an average over a handful of exchanges live. Just a thought. That way you addon will not rely on third parties.

Top Bottom