Coding syntax affecting your English?

James

Does anyone else have an issue with your coding syntax affecting your written English? I have - just this second - written center in my work when it should be centre. Of course, this is because of the American-style syntax :(

The above is really the only time I have clashing language issues, though I have noticed Kier using color lately - habit or contextual replies? :p

Does anyone else have an issue with your coding syntax affecting your written English? I have - just this second - written center in my work when it should be centre. Of course, this is because of the American-style syntax :(

The above is really the only time I have clashing language issues, though I have noticed Kier using color lately - habit or contextual replies? :p
Well, for SOME of us, it's not an issue because center and color are spelled that way normally, LOL. 

Normally! Pfft, are you suggesting we are somehow not normal?!

Yeah, I suppose it's a lot easier for people who come across the language on a day-to-day basis (i.e. Americans). I have had the habit of typing "colour: #xxxxxx" in my CSS and going crazy over why it wasn't showing, but now I know as soon as Notepad is open, American mode is activated!

Normally! Pfft, are you suggesting we are somehow not normal?!

Yeah, I suppose it's a lot easier for people who come across the language on a day-to-day basis (i.e. Americans). I have had the habit of typing "colour: #xxxxxx" in my CSS and going crazy over why it wasn't showing, but now I know as soon as Notepad is open, American mode is activated!
No, for you color is not normal, not that YOU are not normal, LOL. Unless you are not normal and that's a whole nother ballgame. :) 

Lol, Yes I have this problem also, and have basically just changed to using American spelling for most things like that now.

Actually, "center" is correct in coding syntax, in any form of English. "Center" is the middle of something, whereas "centre" is a physical location, as in Education Centre, Sports Centre, etc.

I don't like the fact that I have to use "center", "color" etc. It doesn't affect my written English, but it does force me to ponder more deeply prior to pursuing and committing the writing of the word.

Actually, "center" is correct in coding syntax, in any form of English. "Center" is the middle of something, whereas "centre" is a physical location, as in Education Centre, Sports Centre, etc.
Centre and center have exactly the same meanings, they are just used differently. This goes back to the whole -er and -re.
Wikipedia displays an image using centre as the midpoint:
200px-CIRCLE_1.svg.png

Well, that's a product of more modern thinking (ignorance of the language really). Same as pronouncing the 'h' in herb, or saying "an" historic moment instead if the correct "a" historic moment. As time goes on, the language gets more distorted, and people accept it because they don't know any better.

Imagine, someday the word "than" will be obsolete in favor of "then", a phenomenon we're seeing more and more already.

Dutch can only have an American accent and it sounds horrible, so not sure what you mean by this.
I'm not talking about accent, I'm talking about words being spelled differently and given new definitions, in place of the ones that have been in use for hundreds of years.

Regarding the video above, the problem with aluminium came about due to a spelling mistake - essentially someone missed out the second "i".

It's the same sort of thing that happened with "corned beef" - it was originally called "canned beef".

I'm not talking about accent, I'm talking about words being spelled differently and given new definitions, in place of the ones that have been in use for hundreds of years.

Regarding the video above, the problem with aluminium came about due to a spelling mistake - essentially someone missed out the second "i".

It's the same sort of thing that happened with "corned beef" - it was originally called "canned beef".
For me language is constantly in motion and I do not see it as a problem.

In Dutch (Flemish or Hollandic dialect) we regularly use English and French words and it doesn't disturb me at all. What does disturb me is people that can't write two sentences without spelling errors in them. Or when they start writing their dialect or the way they talk.

Top Bottom