1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coding syntax affecting your English?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by James, Sep 17, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have an issue with your coding syntax affecting your written English? I have - just this second - written center in my work when it should be centre. Of course, this is because of the American-style syntax :(

The above is really the only time I have clashing language issues, though I have noticed Kier using color lately - habit or contextual replies? :p

Dragonfly likes this.
  2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Well, for SOME of us, it's not an issue because center and color are spelled that way normally, LOL. 

3. James

James Well-Known Member

Normally! Pfft, are you suggesting we are somehow not normal?!

Yeah, I suppose it's a lot easier for people who come across the language on a day-to-day basis (i.e. Americans). I have had the habit of typing "colour: #xxxxxx" in my CSS and going crazy over why it wasn't showing, but now I know as soon as Notepad is open, American mode is activated!

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

No, for you color is not normal, not that YOU are not normal, LOL. Unless you are not normal and that's a whole nother ballgame. :) 

5. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Lol, Yes I have this problem also, and have basically just changed to using American spelling for most things like that now.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Don't get me started, this is one of my biggest bugbears :mad:

I absolutely hate how the English language is becoming polluted with incorrect spellings and definitions.

Moses, Dragonfly and James like this.
  7. DoctorWatsOn

DoctorWatsOn Well-Known Member

8. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

There's no reason why different dialects and variants of the same language can't co-exist. It makes life more fun.

James likes this.
  9. CBI Web

CBI Web Well-Known Member

Actually, "center" is correct in coding syntax, in any form of English. "Center" is the middle of something, whereas "centre" is a physical location, as in Education Centre, Sports Centre, etc.

10. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Happens to me all the time :<

11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I don't like the fact that I have to use "center", "color" etc. It doesn't affect my written English, but it does force me to ponder more deeply prior to pursuing and committing the writing of the word.

12. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I'm more for the American English anyway both spoken and written, don't know why, just feels better to me.

13. Brogan

Would you feel the same about American-Dutch if it was created?

14. CBI Web

Well, if you really do want to be correct, you'll use "center" in the way it is intended, for all forms of English, per my above post. ;)

15. dutchbb

Dutch can only have an American accent and it sounds horrible, so not sure what you mean by this.

16. James

James Well-Known Member

Centre and center have exactly the same meanings, they are just used differently. This goes back to the whole -er and -re.
    Wikipedia displays an image using centre as the midpoint:
    [​IMG]

17. CBI Web

Well, that's a product of more modern thinking (ignorance of the language really). Same as pronouncing the 'h' in herb, or saying "an" historic moment instead if the correct "a" historic moment. As time goes on, the language gets more distorted, and people accept it because they don't know any better.

Imagine, someday the word "than" will be obsolete in favor of "then", a phenomenon we're seeing more and more already.

18. Brogan

I'm not talking about accent, I'm talking about words being spelled differently and given new definitions, in place of the ones that have been in use for hundreds of years.

Regarding the video above, the problem with aluminium came about due to a spelling mistake - essentially someone missed out the second "i".

It's the same sort of thing that happened with "corned beef" - it was originally called "canned beef".

19. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

You do know, don't you, that a British guy invented HTML? It's his fault you don't have centre and colour in your markup. Don't blame us.

20. dutchbb

For me language is constantly in motion and I do not see it as a problem.

In Dutch (Flemish or Hollandic dialect) we regularly use English and French words and it doesn't disturb me at all. What does disturb me is people that can't write two sentences without spelling errors in them. Or when they start writing their dialect or the way they talk.