Coding syntax affecting your English?

dubm question.

When I downloaded fire fox it spell checks. Is that what the uk people use? i.e. in ff: color correct, colour incorrect?

Yes this annoys me too, I have to try very hard not to fall into the habit of using color, center etc in general written form, however sometimes I do slip. Where do you get the English English FF spell checker, as this American one is very annoying.

CBI Web - as for the non pronouncing of the letter "h" in herb.. argh.. when I hear Americans doing that, it just sounds so very weird. Although I have read the arguments for why not to pronounce the "h" due to it's long distant French "Herbe" origins, that argument doesn't hold much water given other American pronunciations that do not respect a words origins at all. :p It just sounds affected to me :p

I grew up in New York State, and was taught that the 'h' in herb is silent. Same with hour, honest, and any other 'h' followed by a vowel (except for history, oddly enough). But I guess I'm getting old now, and English is evolving - no, degrading - into further depths of despair. :p

+1, Yes,code syntax affects much my English, which is grade-c on GCE level.

Much worse as English is not the primary language!

Sometimes mix up too.

I grew up in New York State, and was taught that the 'h' in herb is silent. Same with hour, honest, and any other 'h' followed by a vowel (except for history, oddly enough). But I guess I'm getting old now, and English is evolving - no, degrading - into further depths of despair. :p
Personally, I find the omission of the 'h' to sound somewhere between pretentious and slovenly. It's certainly not something that is taught in English schools.

hmmmmmmm silent H's before a vowel you say.... :p

History, and also...
Home
House
Horse,
Him
Her
Hen
Heaven
Hello
Had
Have
Holly
Hoooley Dooley

and on and on and on and on :p

Horss probably isn't exactly right but I think you all know what I mean anyway.

Hoss might be more like it... meh I know what I'm chatting.

Blame the French for the confusion with the letter H; most of the silent H words come from some sort of early french origin (hour, honor, herb, etc...etc...).

Blame the French for the confusion with the letter H; most of the silent H words come from some sort of early french origin (hour, honor, herb, etc...etc...).

Naw.. we'll just blame the Americans for trying to sound posh with Erbs :p The rest of the English speaking world pronounces the H in that word.

[sings]Just you wait Enry Iggins [/sings]

Sure, but plenty of words come from other languages and are fully anglicised with no regard to the original pronounciation - you don't find people refering to a 'banan' with the trailing 'a' omitted just because of its French 'une banane' origin.

Hoooley Dooley

Hooley Dooley? And I thought the Wiggles were bad.... :rolleyes:

HooleyDooleys2.jpg

Top Bottom