Coding syntax affecting your English?

Ironically the pronounciation of the letter "H" in the word "aitch" is without doubt the most annoying mispronounciation in the world.... arggghghghghghgg

The word for the letter H doesn't even start with the letter H, why add it?

Drives me nuts now we live in the regions with lots of bogans who can't speak properly, my poor son now has to justify his non-HHHHHHHHAich pronounciation.. one idiot teacher he had even told him there was no such thing as "aitch" >_<

Hooley Dooley? And I thought the Wiggles were bad.... :rolleyes:

HooleyDooleys2.jpg

LOL yeah, a very lame Wiggles rip off band :p

You do know, don't you, that a British guy invented HTML? It's his fault you don't have centre and colour in your markup. Don't blame us.
Nobody was "blaming", just discussing :P

I'm glad I'm not the only one! The differentiations are confusing and coders use American spellings on a daily basis - it gets tiresome :)

Sure, but plenty of words come from other languages and are fully anglicised with no regard to the original pronounciation - you don't find people refering to a 'banan' with the trailing 'a' omitted just because of its French 'une banane' origin.

Not really analogous since "banana" is not derived from France, it's origin probably come from Spain or Africa. I did a quick search on all the silent h words I can think of, and they all have a french origin.

As for "herb" :

Herb: Refashioned after Latin since 15c., but the h- was mute until 19century.

So it became custom to pronounce the H (in England) after the revolutionary war, which is probably why we say it differently.

It's interesting to note that a lot of the words that are pronounced differently in American vs English are pronounced that way specifically because Webster was TRYING to make a clear distinction between the new nation of the USA and the tyrannical British ;) so his spellings were different from those used in Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language.

I agree.

Words such as color, humor, aluminum, etc.
But they aren't considered spelling errors when you're American... And I believe not even when used internationally. The same applies to the South African/Namibian language 'Afrikaans'. This is actually a daughter language of Dutch, a result of the colonization (colonisation in British English!). The same applies to Great Britain and the U.S.

On the web, it seems that American English is more widespread than British English. Even Wikipedia uses American English for their English version (example 1, example 2), which is not that strange since it's an American project.

Language experts do not see these small differences as a problem it seems, so that means we can use both as we want. Which is fine by me :)

It's interesting to note that a lot of the words that are pronounced differently in American vs English are pronounced that way specifically because Webster was TRYING to make a clear distinction between the new nation of the USA and the tyrannical British ;) so his spellings were different from those used in Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language.
Nah, Webster just couldn't spell ;)

But they aren't considered spelling errors when you're American... And I believe not even when used internationally. The same applies to the South African/Namibian language 'Afrikaans'. This is actually a daughter language of Dutch, a result of the colonization (colonisation in British English!). The same applies to Great Britain and the U.S.

On the web, it seems that American English is more widespread than British English. Even Wikipedia uses American English for their English version (example 1, example 2), which is not that strange since it's an American project.

Language experts do not see these small differences as a problem it seems, so that means we can use both as we want. Which is fine by me :)
American English is indeed more widespread and it doesn't surprise me that Wikipedia uses American English. AFAIK, they only use one type of English on Wikipedia, otherwise they'd have probably used a gb sub-domain for British English.

We can use any we want, but the poor young generation will struggle their British English exams when they're coding in American English ;)

Top Bottom