1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloud Flare

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by AppleAndMango, Jul 6, 2015.

1. AppleAndMango

AppleAndMango Active Member

Does anybody use Cloud Flare?

If anyone has any good/bad points about the service they'd like to share I'm all ears :)

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

From a support point of view, it's a pain in the backside.
    We have to deal with a lot of issues related to it.

From a personal perspective, if I visit a site and see the CF holding message about checking the browser, I click back and select the next link in the list of search results.

Divvens, The Forum Heroes and Luke F like this.
  4. RoldanLT

90% it's related to Rocket Loader.

That only happens when you enable "I'm under attack" mode.

rafass likes this.
  5. AppleAndMango

Yikes.

Are there any alternatives you'd recommend or shall I just not use one? I don't really need one right now but maybe in the future if things get busy...

6. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

I hate CF. I agree with Brogan, when I see the CF loading... I leave.

Luke F and AppleAndMango like this.
  7. AppleAndMango

Thanks for your help guys... I guess I wont be using it :p Not that I need it anyway...:rolleyes:

8. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

I love Cloudflare. highly recommended.
    With the good configuration, everything works absolutely perfect.

9. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Heres the thing about CloudFlare though... if everything works perfectly and you never see a CF loading screen...

YOU DONT NEED CLOUDFLARE.

10. RoldanLT

Pretty obvious you don't know about Cloudflare.
    It's Great Service.
    A lot of Large Forum using it, that includes DigitalPoint.

rafass likes this.
  11. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

I feel CloudFlare provides a poor user experience if you get flagged by their CAPTCHA.

One website in particular flags me 90% of the time with a verification check, FUNimation (an American anime distributor). It is a turn off, and I suspect would be a major turn-off for visitors coming in from a Google search result that just want to view your content ASAP. I believe there's a general 5 second rule or something for first impressions?
    cloudflare-sec-check.png

12. RoldanLT

This is just a configuration on Cloudflare settings.
    Explore ;)

13. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

Yep. Cloudflare enables my sites to load super quick for users in US on my EU server. Only positive experiences with them.

Xon likes this.
  14. AppleAndMango

I get this too... Same website...

15. Solidus

Just turn down security settings, or find the exact trigger and turn that off.

16. Brogan

The visitors can't do anything about it - only the site owner can adjust the settings.

By that time they've probably lost a visitor though.

Divvens and AppleAndMango like this.
  17. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

I've got a GTMetrix "A" rating, which was a "c" before switching to cloudflare. If it's set up properly then it's extremely worthwhile but that's just my opinion.

18. Solidus

That's why you the owner should configure it properly. Default settings won't flag legitimate users.

19. Brogan

Err right, but that's missing the point of the posts from those who were complaining they keep getting flagged.

They're hardly going to go to the effort of informing the site owner, and indeed in a lot of cases the visitors won't necessarily be technically aware what the issue is.

20. HammerDown

HammerDown Active Member

To make a very long story short, I once had about 500 websites (most small WordPress sites) on CloudFlare and in the end decided that it was prohibitive and took them all off.