Cloud Flare

From a support standpoint, if I had to do XenForo support, I would tell everyone to not use it. There is a lot of ways you can mess up your site with CloudFlare (some stuff you probably can't even control for example if your server thinks the massive amount of traffic is a DDoS attack because all traffic passed through CloudFlare IPs).

That being said, if you actually know what you are doing and have control over your own servers, it's fantastic. I use it, and I love it. I don't use it so much for the DDoS mitigation (which is okay, but not my main reason for using it). I use it mainly to serve up static content (images, JavaScript, CSS, etc.) from data centers geographically close to the end user.

Being able to get 1 ms latency (or even sub-1 ms latency) from around the world is nice for the static content side of things. You can see an example:

Ping Tool
MaxCDN Tools - Compare the speed of two websites in 5 seconds

Obviously that latency doesn't affect dynamic content... just the static content being served from CloudFlare data centers.

We also use it to offload our static assets such as images, js, etc so pages load quicker for our users (from locations closer to the user) and our front end server doesn't waste resources serving files which never change.

We have a business account with them and their support is very fast. After a lot of back and forth with them on a very specific issue, it was discovered that a cloud flare bug was causing the problem. They fixed it on their end and we were back in business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom