Add-on Classifieds addon development discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been widely believed, up to now, that I will be the developer of this classifieds add-on. I appreciate the kind words some of you have made and I am sorry if the following disappoints.

After all things have been considered, unfortunately I won't be working on this project, but I am confident that, with the solid spec laid out by Stuart, this project will be a success.

To everyone involved, I wish you all the best of luck :)

So do we. It's funny it's come up because I wouldn't have thought that was a popular thing to do.

In this case though, we have a separate forum for 'splits'. With this add-on, we'd have one item listed with the parts being claimed by the OP, and others could claim parts in the associated thread. I'm not sure there'd need to be any special accommodation.

Something like this would be fine for me where all the items are listed in the ad as "free text"

upload_2016-1-4_19-35-1.webp

The side bar, look at the brands. You click them and it updates.
Implementing that would be possible if the system allows for the entry of the brand. I.e. the make and model of the item.
It's a nice idea but I foresee problems with that:
  • Adverts for multiple items. E.g. a sale of a home cinema system containing an LG Blu-ray player, a Samsung TV and a Denon amp? Would we allow people to enter multiple make+model fields?
  • Items with no definable brand. E.g. Blu-rays. Unless you start entering the studio e.g. Paramount, Warner etc. and then it starts to become messy.
  • Classifieds where there are varied categories. From cars to carpets. How do you manage having brands from so many different categories? It would be a mess unless you only enabled the brand filter once a single category has been selected.
In theory I love the idea because we could tie the make+model into our editorial system so that a review of a TV could show classifieds ads for the TV in the side bar. But it does present problems.

If you think about it....

... "Classifieds" are not more than just a bunch of "Custom Fields" in the end.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/wanted-thread-list-sidebar-filter-search.91381/

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/rm-advanced-filter-options-tags-custom-fields.96740/

Provide the ability to have Category-specific "Custom-Fields" in the very first post of a thread and your "Classifieds System" is literally done.
Add some "Filters" (Prefixes, Keyword-Tags) and most importantly have the ability to "filter" the "Custom Fields" and it is all you need.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-thread-fields.1267/page-3#post-1024205

Should not be a big deal to implement this in XF-core since the code for "Custom Fields" is already there.

:)

Last edited:
@Stuart Wright
I don't consider that "cherry picker" side menu only a brand filter.
I see it as a standard and custom field filter that auto update results (without the need to click con a "filter/search" button.

We are very interested in the progress of this project, and will be watching it.

In particular, a requirement for our site is to support a "custom currency" for the sale/offer of virtual (in-game) goods using digital/in-game currency. The length of the field for this custom currency would need to extend / support 12 digits, and preferably display with commas (999,999,999,999 gold).

Also of great interest/priority for our site:
  • Auction support with BIN functionality
  • Make an Offer support
  • Multi-item listings support

How about to have the possibility to create an items database so people could select the item from it and automatically pull information about the item?

How about to have the possibility to create an items database so people could select the item from it and automatically pull information about the item?
That wouldn't work for most sites because the members want to advertise such a large number of items. Potentially the entire Amazon catalogue and more.
So unless you have a very limited catalogue of items which people can trade, the item selection would have to be optional.
Then you have the job of entering all the items.

Then you have the job of entering all the items.
I was thinking that the "items list" could be generated from users themselves.
If an item is not in the system it will be created once the ads is created. So a potential future users selling/searching/trading that particular item could re-use that (standard) information and maybe integrate them if something is missing.

If an item is not in the system it will be created once the ads is created. So a potential future users selling/searching/trading that particular item could re-use that (standard) information and maybe integrate them if something is missing.
How would you deal with a user including incorrect information when publishing the item to the db? Would it be a wiki type that can be edited by anyone reusing?

I have been thinking about having fields in the advert for make and model which will allow people to search for products from specific brands. These would be custom fields. But allowing members to enter additional product information (presumably you are thinking of specifications) would lead to unpredictable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom