Add-on Classifieds addon development discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Functionality question:

Our site is such that we wish to separate classifieds from normal discussion so they don't clutter up "new" and "recent" posts pages/feeds or the portal (XP2). But we also wanted to allow this for people like site sponsors or premium members who have paid for something extra.

The way MGTS's addon did this was by having a "comments" tab that functioned similarly to profile posts, and then a "discussion" tab which functioned much like the thread associated with a Resource. Resource discussion show up as normal threads, Profile posts do not. I read the first page of posts and I didn't see this overtly called out. Ideally I would like the "comments" tab to be a non-indexed thread like a normal thread but just one that doesn't show up in the portal. Not sure if this is possible

The other thing is that it would be nice if the classifieds showed up in a sidebar, I think you had this covered.

We have certain people who just don't care about classified activity and would like to have it out of the way and not clogging up the home page feed, and others who like to stay on top of it and snag up deals. Trying to accommodate both of them!

1-2+ licenses
Paid Packages Required

Thanks @Stuart Wright for pushing ahead with this project... I'm glad someone is. I'm sorry for being a bit hostile before when everyone was lambasting Mr.G2S for being unreliable, didn't want us scaring him off completely, but it seems like he has no interest in picking up where he left off. At least you are doing something about it, I'm glad.

I look forward to seeing where the project goes :)

I will add though, I hope the layout stays true to what the other classifieds system was going for. I liked the look of the other one. Users familiar with gumtree, craigslist, ebay and whatnot will be very familiar with it.

I will add though, I hope the layout stays true to what the other classifieds system was going for. I liked the look of the other one. Users familiar with gumtree, craigslist, ebay and whatnot will be very familiar with it.
The current approach is to keep it on par with the rest of XenForo. Using the resource manager as a solid base. Obviously not all elements will be the same but we don't want this section of the site looking completely different than the rest of your forum. That said, we're still including non-XenForo features such as filtering.

The current approach is to keep it on par with the rest of XenForo. Using the resource manager as a solid base. Obviously not all elements will be the same but we don't want this section of the site looking completely different than the rest of your forum. That said, we're still including non-XenForo features such as filtering.

Will it be dependent on the XF resource manager?

No, not at all. I just meant that the resource manager was used as inspiration for the design. There's no programmable dependency at all.

Items as in items somebody would like to buy, trade, or sell.

Wouldn't have any use for it this way.. Many of us just want a straight classified.. This is extra bloat and should be developed after as an extension those that want it can purchase for a fee.

I think this was mentioned earlier on in the thread or in another one, but I thought I would say it just in case. A feature I think that would be very useful, especially for my community would be a user having to select from a pre-defined list of items.
This is more likely to be done after the initial release.

I suggest to add a copy of classifieds, called freelancers. Or insert an option for freelancers in classifieds. And also add a dispute system.

It's when someone posts a job they need done and other people submit proposals to try and get it. Only the OP can read all the proposals and pick the best. Feedback is left when the deal is completed. Interesting idea for an add-on, but doesn't seem like it would fit with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom