XF 2.2 Changing default user list sort order in the ACP

FTL

When viewing the list of users in the ACP, it always defaults to alphabetical order. What configuration file do I modify to change the default sort order? I prefer sorted by registration date to be the default.

@Chris D I'd be grateful if you could please help with my question. There's so far been a deafening silence to my rather basic support query while others receive help with their support queries.

Still a support black hole here for a week now. Between this and my previous query it's beginning to feel like I'm on a support blacklist while others have their queries answered. What's going on?

@Brogan @Kier @Jeremy P I'd be really grateful for an answer to my simple query.

Last edited:
The forums are for community-based support only. Answers are given voluntarily and not guaranteed.

Thanks for getting back to me. I finally get an answer, after a week and a lot of pushing.

However, your reply actually strengthens my suspicion that I'm on some unofficial "blacklist" as no one can be bothered to answer my questions, even when I bump it with reminder posts and other members also want to know. I can't believe that I have to actually log a ticket for a simple query like this that can be answered with one line where a public answer can help others too and makes for a richer customer support environment.

Also, crucially, in the official support FAQ from Brogan that I've screenshotted, it doesn't actually say that "answers are given voluntarily and not guaranteed" like you claim, just the statement in point 1 about posting here for support or open a ticket, I therefore expect that community support. All I've got is some unofficial comments from people like yourself or other customers that "answers are given voluntarily and not guaranteed" is apparently so and no apology at all for having left me hanging. That's just not good enough when you take a lot of money off people for your product.

Don't you think that the FAQ should at the very least be clarified in light of this so that people know what to expect? XF staff are on here all the time, especially Brogan who clearly has a lot of technical knowledge and dispenses lots of good technical advice, yet for some reason chooses not to answer my questions, even when I tag him, so he's clearly seen them.

Actually supporting your customers as per your claims is all part of good customer service to your paying customers and in this respect XF gets a big fat FAIL. But, it's not hard to fix something like this either, as you know. Just respect your paying customers a little more who keep you in your job and there's goodwill all round, possibly with more sales too. There are few things more frustrating than getting poor customer service, as I'm sure you know and waiting on the never never for people who can't be bothered to help is a very good example of it.

1654021492108.webp

Anyway, the default order is not configurable so it would require custom development.

Well, that order is defined somewhere and obviously can be changed even if hardcoded as it's just software. Therefore, could you please just let me know which file it is and its location so I can have a play myself in the local test installation on my PC and I'll decide what I want to do?

Thanks for getting back to me. I finally get an answer, after a week and a lot of pushing.

I therefore expect that community support.

As multiple staff members have already told you previously...

And im quoting myself here:

So as I previously iterated, if you require a staff guaranteed response please use a ticket, no other way is guaranteed.

To which you replied:

@Slavik thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. (y):cool:

If this had been explained to me before when I clearly felt aggrieved at just being ignored so much, none of this would have happened. Thanks again, I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Jeremy has now given you the correct answer to your query. So you would either need to contact a 3rd party addon developer to do this for you, or look into learning how to code with XenForo to implement it yourself. In either circumstance staff members involvement in 3rd party development isnt something we get involved in on any routine basis.

Last edited:
I think you’ll find that most customers would state that XF provides exemplary customer service.

Our ability to serve customers is limited when support staff come up against customer requirements that are not available by default in the software itself, then it comes to the community to offer solutions if they feel so inclined.

I can't believe that I have to actually log a ticket for a simple query like this that can be answered with one line where a public answer can help others too and makes for a richer customer support environment.
I'm only speaking for myself, but I do not actively monitor threads here. If I reply at all, it is usually because 1) I happened to come across the thread, 2) I am not already busy with something else, and 3) I already know the answer.

In this specific case, I came across this thread by chance (your tag did not alert me because it was edited into the post). I did not already know the answer, so normally I would not have replied, but decided to investigate anyway as a courtesy. We do not have a blacklist and I was not aware of any previous interactions.

All I've got is some unofficial comments from people like yourself or other customers that "answers are given voluntarily and not guaranteed" is apparently so and no apology at all for having left me hanging.
Maybe it's not spelled out, but community support implies support provided by the community as opposed to support provided by the company. These forums are principally for customers to help and support each other. Staff are not obliged to help, but generally do so anyway, unofficially, out of good will. For things which fall outside the scope of ticket support (like custom development), there is no official support at all.

Well, that order is defined somewhere and obviously can be changed even if hardcoded as it's just software. Therefore, could you please just let me know which file it is and its location so I can have a play myself in the local test installation on my PC and I'll decide what I want to do?
It's src/XF/Searcher/User.php, line 26.

We've had lots of questions go unanswered, especially for custom ideas that are not part of the core; but we accept that not everything is possible.
Uh Huh Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I think you’ll find that most customers would state that XF provides exemplary customer service.

Our ability to serve customers is limited when support staff come up against customer requirements that are not available by default in the software itself, then it comes to the community to offer solutions if they feel so inclined.
Top-Notch Staff!
Go Ahead Reaction GIF

When viewing the list of users in the ACP, it always defaults to alphabetical order. What configuration file do I modify to change the default sort order? I prefer sorted by registration date to be the default.
In development mode you can adjust this navigation. Take it out of development mode when finished!

Reactions: FTL
Top Bottom