XF 1.5 Changed host and XF didn't migrate

KristiSmith

Hello,

I just migrated my Wordpress site over to a new host (WPengine), and they told me that I'd need to have a developer move Xenforo over. I'm also about to move my husband's site over as well and he also happens to have Xenforo. Ugh.

I'm clueless about this sort of thing and am hoping you can answer my questions:

1. Can you do the install (like you did when we bought it)?
2. Do you have any suggestions (like a forum post that I missed that covers this sort of thing)?
3. Do you offer the option to host forums?
4. Am I screwed?

Our sites are young and low traffic, so the worst case scenario - provided that we can actually use Xenforo with WPengine - is that we have to start over as opposed to migrating...but I don't even know how to do this much. Thanks for your help.

Do you already have XenForo installed and in use on a different host?

If so, you can backup the database and export it, then import it into a new instance on the new host, along with copying the server files across.

Point 6 of the FAQ mentions it: Frequently Asked Questions

We don't host forums so you will need to use your own host and domain.

I think WPengine (why do I keep reading it as WPenguin?) don't give a hoot about anything that isn't wordpress. IIRC they don't even let you have email there.

Actually, if I recall, I believe I did the installation for you.

Is there any particular reason why you're moving from your current host to the new one?

It sounds like your new host may not be the best option for you if they won't even do a migration - a lot of hosts will do that for free.

It sounds like your new host may not be the best option for you if they won't even do a migration - a lot of hosts will do that for free.
I agree. I now remember my phone discussion with Wpenguin. I would't touch them with a bargepole unless all I wanted was wordpress, even then...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was with Arvixe, but my site is frequently down and I wasn't able to access my cpanel or even login page consistently for over a week...support never was able to figure it out and stopped responding to my tickets. So far, I'm really happy with WPengine (or penguin, lol), aside from the migration issue...I have almost two months to cancel and if I need to I will. I am just not a tech person and am learning this as I go...and my site is up and running and fast. Don't want to mess with it any more but will explore your suggestions. I thought about just leaving my forum with Arvixe and linking to it, just to prevent a bigger hassle. I want to spend my time putting out content and not dealing with backend stuff because I suck at it and don't have the money to pay someone else to figure it out :eek:

You did my install, Brogan. My site is low-traffic at the moment, and so I haven't had many people on my forum (yet). Hope to turn that around. I'll update this if I find a solution so that other folks can see what it is. Thanks!

Top Bottom