Implemented Change the default post text font

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but is there any chance of changing the default post text font?

The css has this:

message .messageText, .message .signature {
font:11pt/1.4 Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;

In my opinion this font really doesn't suit the overall XenForo look and style.
I think something much more modern would be better.

Is there a reason why this font has been chosen?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I have to disagree. I like the font used in posts. Infact, I was typing up a thread thanking the devs on the choice of fonts used but got distracted. I disagree with you on this one I feel they fit the overall feel and look around here perfectly.

[SIZE=11pt]This is the standard font[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog[/SIZE]

The following fonts are 10pt.

[SIZE=10pt]This is Georgia font[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]This is Arial font[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]This is Helvetica font[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]This is Tahoma font[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]This is Verdana font[/SIZE]

Personally I'm not a fan of serif fonts such as Times New Roman, etc.
I always prefer sans-serif fonts such as Arial, Verdana, etc.

Still, it's a simple css edit so no big deal.

Thanks for the answer Kier.
It's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into all of the elements which make up the software.

I can see how the default font stands out well and appears bolder.

It will take up too much horizontal width for my site though so I will have to change it.
Perhaps I can just get away with reducing it to 10pt.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but is there any chance of changing the default post text font?

The css has this:

message .messageText, .message .signature {
font:11pt/1.4 Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;

In my opinion this font really doesn't suit the overall XenForo look and style.
I think something much more modern would be better.

Is there a reason why this font has been chosen?

Can you define what "modern" is supposed to mean? Georgia is a typeface originating in 1993, it's hardly ancient. And new versions of both Georgia and Verdana are due for release later this year.

If you feel that sans-serif typefaces are more "modern," then go ahead and change the default on your own board. But there is nothing wrong with Georgia as a default typeface, and in fact, it's quite a unique choice, as most tend to default to Arial or Verdana.

I like the font used here. I will consider using Verdana on my own forums, at least for something things :)

I like the font used here. I will consider using Verdana on my own forums, at least for something things :)

Georgia, Verdana and Arial are said to be web safe fonts, so all of those three work well as defaults. If you leave Georgia as the default, for example, you can have Verdana as a fallback.

Now in my case, I personally prefer Constantia to Georgia. It's similar, but Constantia is a little nicer, especially with the numerals, in my opinion. But it's not necessarily a web safe font, so I'll make it the default but keep Georgia as the fallback.

Personally, I like the font used. It's fresh and interesting in a world where sans serif fonts now dominate.

Personally I'm not a fan of serif fonts such as Times New Roman, etc.
I always prefer sans-serif fonts such as Arial, Verdana, etc.

Still, it's a simple css edit so no big deal.

Flowery = Serif
Plainer = Sans Serif

:cool:

I quite like the font used here, it's about one of the rare times where I've seen the font work; I don't see a lot of serif fonts.

Can you define what "modern" is supposed to mean?
Anything with an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as old fashioned.

Anything without an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as modern.

Anything with an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as old fashioned.

Anything without an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as modern.

serif = old
sans-serif = modern?

That is what you are implying. All serif fonts have "rough" edges.
Possibly.

I haven't checked all of the fonts to see if they follow that rough rule.

As I said above though, a simple css edit will solve it so it's not an issue at all.

Top Bottom