Implemented Change the default post text font

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but is there any chance of changing the default post text font?

The css has this:

message .messageText, .message .signature {
font:11pt/1.4 Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;

In my opinion this font really doesn't suit the overall XenForo look and style.
I think something much more modern would be better.

Is there a reason why this font has been chosen?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I never cared much for serif fonts, but since XF I have to admit that Georgia has more style and readability at this size than any other web-safe font.

A problem could be that Georgia is not as widespread among users as Arial or Verdana are. I'm not sure what font-family is used at XF, but logically the next one in row would be Times (New) Roman, which unfortunately has a worse readability than Georgia, Verdana or Arial.

I don't know, I like the font the way it is. Changing the default post font on your own installation is as simple as updating a single line of css from font-x to your desired font (it may even be easier than that with XF). I agree the font looks basic, but IMO a standard install should be pretty basic.

I've read somewhere Verdana is more widespread, they showed statistics to prove this (I'm not sure on what study they were based though). I'll post the link if I can find it.

Edit for link: http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt6/html-email-fonts.htm
Thats outdated by nearly a decade (Back when ME was still a common OS).

Georgia should be on every modern system, as it is also installed with many common applications as well. 

You do it from within the ACP using the Style Properties system.
There is no need to edit any CSS/files manually.

Calibri isn't supported by most operating systems as it was created for Microsoft as a replacement to Times New Roman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibri).
Any computer that has Microsoft Office installed will have the fonts. It's also installed by default on any Windows machine running Vista or newer. If Calibri is chosen as the default board font but a user's computer does not have the font, it will fall back to the next one it does have.

I myself have Calibri as a fallback to Constantia, and if those two aren't available, then Georgia appears. And almost every computer in the world will have Georgia, since it's part of the core web fonts, IIRC.

MISC: Calibri is not intended to replace Times New Roman, it was simply made the default font in Office 2007 and above. A real replacement for Times New Roman would be Cambria. If anything, I see Calibri as more of an Arial/Verdana replacement.

Any computer that has Microsoft Office installed will have the fonts. It's also installed by default on any Windows machine running Vista or newer. If Calibri is chosen as the default board font but a user's computer does not have the font, it will fall back to the next one it does have.

I myself have Calibri as a fallback to Constantia, and if those two aren't available, then Georgia appears. And almost every computer in the world will have Georgia, since it's part of the core web fonts, IIRC.

MISC: Calibri is not intended to replace Times New Roman, it was simply made the default font in Office 2007 and above. A real replacement for Times New Roman would be Cambria. If anything, I see Calibri as more of an Arial/Verdana replacement.
Well aware of that, however most people aren't aware of using font stacks.

Again, well aware of how font stacks work...

11pt Georgia was carefully chosen as a font that is pleasurable and rapid to read.

unless you're dyslexic lol... it's actually really difficult to read for me with my dyslexia, and also for one of our other senior staff members who is dyslexic too. I'm glad it's easily changed on our own forum though...

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but is there any chance of changing the default post text font?

The css has this:

message .messageText, .message .signature {
font:11pt/1.4 Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;

In my opinion this font really doesn't suit the overall XenForo look and style.
I think something much more modern would be better.

Is there a reason why this font has been chosen?
I totally agree with you, sans serif is more modern and definitely more easy to read on online forums.

I totally agree with you, sans serif is more modern and definitely more easy to read on online forums.
Sans-serif has been demonstrated to be easier to read on an electronic screen.

However, I would hardly consider Georgia "antiquated." Just because a font is serif doesn't mean it's not modern.

Sans-serif has been demonstrated to be easier to read on an electronic screen.

However, I would hardly consider Georgia "antiquated." Just because a font is serif doesn't mean it's not modern.
What I meant was that sans serif fonts are in general more modern than serifs. It doesn't mean that Georgia is antiquated.

Top Bottom