Implemented Change the default post text font

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but is there any chance of changing the default post text font?

The css has this:

message .messageText, .message .signature {
font:11pt/1.4 Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;

In my opinion this font really doesn't suit the overall XenForo look and style.
I think something much more modern would be better.

Is there a reason why this font has been chosen?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
(Actually, Calibri, which we use for form fields is in the same boat, and we are in the process of trying alternatives)
Ah interesting, I was going to ask you about that.

Doesn't that just leave with you with a few common fonts which are installed by default on all operating systems for PC, mobile devices, etc?

I always did like Georgia for a font - yet my gripe is with how common it is in the blog-sphere.

On another note, most *modern* browsers support embedded fonts. The newest Firefox does, so does Chrome, and I believe the new version of IE will as well. Safari won't be far behind.

Ah interesting, I was going to ask you about that.

Doesn't that just leave with you with a few common fonts which are installed by default on all operating systems for PC, mobile devices, etc?

Talking of mobile devices, Android doesn't have any common fonts, it uses just 3 unique fonts, Droid Sans, Droid Mono Sans (PostScript font) and Droid Serif.

Constantia is nice but as has already been pointed out, it's not sufficiently common to become a default font.

(Actually, Calibri, which we use for form fields is in the same boat, and we are in the process of trying alternatives)

That's why you COULD set it as the default font and then have Georgia as the fallback, so those who don't have Constantia will still see Georgia. That's probably what I'm going to do on my board.

IIRC, I've read research that states that serif fonts are easier on the eyes and easier to read.

That's true, and while it applies primarily to printed media, if a serif font is rendered at a sufficiently large size that the serifs are not garbled, the same rules will apply to online media too.

That's why you COULD set it as the default font and then have Georgia as the fallback, so those who don't have Constantia will still see Georgia. That's probably what I'm going to do on my board.

Yeah, I quite like Constantia now that I've seen it on both my machines that have it :D

Yes, I just Googled it after reading Kier's post as I worked out what it was then.

I hadn't really given it a thought before, I just knew I didn't like serif fonts.

I've grown to hate that font after seeing it used in pretty much all recent Word/PowerPoint documents.
It's actually a very good font. It has been shown to be highly readable in many different situations, which is why it became the default on Office 2007 and forward.

Top Bottom