Implemented Change the default post text font

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but is there any chance of changing the default post text font?

The css has this:

message .messageText, .message .signature {
font:11pt/1.4 Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;

In my opinion this font really doesn't suit the overall XenForo look and style.
I think something much more modern would be better.

Is there a reason why this font has been chosen?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I said you're implying that serif fonts are those with rough edges, that isn't a personal opinion, that is a fact.
I didn't imply anything.

I said "Anything with an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as old fashioned."

If all serif fonts fall into those guidelines then yes, I would class them all as old fashioned.
My personal opinion doesn't make it fact.

I'm still not sure what point it is you're trying to make.

I didn't imply anything.

I said "Anything with an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as old fashioned."

If all serif fonts fall into those guidelines then yes, I would class them all as old fashioned.
My personal opinion doesn't make it fact.

I'm still not sure what point it is you're trying to make.

Having read your post, we're not on the same line, but on the same page. It seems that whatever I said was in conjunction with what you said.

Anything with an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as old fashioned.

Anything without an enclosed lower case g or little lips/horizontal ticks on verticals for example I would class as modern.

Well, serifs are typically better for reading, as they guide the eye along line lines of text. By contrast, sans-serif tend to be better for headlines or brief descriptions.

At least, this is true with print. Not sure if digital media is any different.

I think the letters look fine in Georgia, but I do think the numbers look wrong. Generally I am more in the Sans Serif camp myself, but as far as Serif fonts go Georgia is one of the better ones.

I kind of understand the readability argument for Serif, but I would guess that dates back to when people used to read and write a lot more handwritten text.

I think the letters look fine in Georgia, but I do think the numbers look wrong. Generally I am more in the Sans Serif camp myself,but as far as Serif fonts go Georgia is one of the better ones.

Georgia, Constantia, Corbel and a few others have numerals with curves that can rise above or dip below the alphabetical characters. It's a design choice. If you don't like that style, the reliable Times New Roman is always there, although I also really like Cambria (serif) and Calibri (sans-serif) as default typefaces, too.

I love how the Georgia numbers float below 1234567890 :D looks messy all in a line though

It's a stylistic decision you get used to pretty quickly. If you have Windows Vista or later, try out Constantia... It's very similar to Georgia, although I think it looks even nicer. When comparing the two typefaces, you'll notice that the curled ends of the "6" and "9" are a bit more pronounced on the latter, and they rise and dip even more.

I've never really noticed it before but the 1, 2 and 0 are a lot smaller than the others.

It's not so much that they're smaller, it's just that the 1, 2 and 0 remain at the same size and positioning as the alphabetical characters, while the tails of the others fall into the gutter of white space that typically separates lines of text. It's a bit of a visual trick.

It's a stylistic decision you get used to pretty quickly. If you have Windows Vista or later, try out Constantia... It's very similar to Georgia, although I think it looks even nicer. When comparing the two typefaces, you'll notice that the curled ends of the "6" and "9" are a bit more pronounced on the latter, and they rise and dip even more.

Unfortunately I'm on an XP machine so I can't give that a look :D

I've never really noticed it before but the 1, 2 and 0 are a lot smaller than the others.

They're lacking any fancy bits, it actually makes sense that they're smaller :)

Constantia is nice but as has already been pointed out, it's not sufficiently common to become a default font.

(Actually, Calibri, which we use for form fields is in the same boat, and we are in the process of trying alternatives)

@Kier:

Isn't there a method for actually having the font on the server and having it available for everybody via that method? It's already available on Windows Vista and Windows 7 --- the main operating systems in use. Couldn't the system through style sheets default to other similar yet native fonts for other OS's?

@Kier:

Isn't there a method for actually having the font on the server and having it available for everybody via that method? It's already available on Windows Vista and Windows 7 --- the main operating systems in use. Couldn't the system through style sheets default to other similar yet native fonts for other OS's?

Be careful with main OS in use. I know many big companies which are still using XP for example.

@Kier:

Yes and no... there are two problems, firstly, there is fairly poor support for embedded fonts in various common browsers, and secondly pretty much all the grade-A fonts are commercial property and may not be bundled in this way.

FWIW, Constantia substituted for Georgia in this pic

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-09 at 11.21.38.webp
    Screen shot 2010-08-09 at 11.21.38.webp
    23 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom