Change ownership/migrate server

LandyVlad

This is a potential scenario for me, in a not-for-profit context.

I've no previous Xenforo experience, but do run a different SMF forum so am familiar with general hosting etc.

Existing Xenforo forum (domainame1.com) on Host A. Owned by person 1.
Person 1 may cede/ nominally 'sell' to me (as a not for profit this is really a change of server/admin).

I'd want to migrate the Xenforo install (database, attachments etc - basically so the forum is 'as is', across to
Host B and a new domainname (domainname2.com)

Can you see any issues there? I'd imagine the migration to a new host would be pretty straight-forward.

Licenses

What is the situation around licences?
- For now I'd just plan on keeping everything 'as is'.
That is, no upgrade in software version, no changes to any plugins/mods that may be in place.

Based on my reading on this forum (yes I did, before posting :) ) I wouldn't need to make any payments until such time as I required an upgrade to a new software version, new version of mods/plugins and so on. Is that correct? I'd imagine that support may depend on having a current licence? Would this apply to support for migrating the forum, assuming I wasn't to ask for help once it was up and running, until I paid?

Obviously as this is (and will be for the foreseeable future) all at my own expense, it's a hobby based forum, and I'm of limited means, I am looking to keep costs to an absolute minimum until I have everything set up and working properly, and make a decision on the ultimate future of the forum (stay with Xenforo being the most likely scenario, at least in the medium term).

Are licenses transferable from the existing owner to me, in the circumstances I've described?

Thanks in advance for your assistance; it is very much appreciated.

It would need to be done at the start.

As per the license agreement: https://xenforo.com/license-agreement/

3. Restrictions
This license is granted to You alone. You may not redistribute the Software in whole or in part. You may not rent, lease, sub-license, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of XenForo Limited.

Top Bottom