XF 2.1 License ownership question ?

BigJoe

I have had a forum for about 2 years now. I have lost interest in running it and am stepping away from it for now. My plan was to transfer ownership of the license to a friend but I think I want to keep it in case one day in the future I want to use it for something else.
Is it possible to let him migrate the forum to a different server without transferring license ownership to him ?

Yes, you can keep your license but the new owner of the site would have to purchase their own license.

When you mean license , do you mean he has to purchase Xenforo for himself ?
I was under the impression he could just transfer the site to a new server in his name and keep things how they are. so I couldn’t let him use my license since I won’t be using it versus transferring ownership to him ?

Your site is your data, XF requires a license. So sure you can sell/give him the site that runs on XF and you can keep your license and he would need to buy one. Or you can also transfer the license if it is transferable.

When you mean license , do you mean he has to purchase Xenforo for himself ?
Yes.
I was under the impression he could just transfer the site to a new server in his name and keep things how they are. so I couldn’t let him use my license since I won’t be using it versus transferring ownership to him ?
You have to transfer to the new site all the XF files to be able to use it.

Top Bottom