Implemented Category option: Disable versioning

Alpha1

In many use cases there is no version of resources. This goes for fileless resources, but also for external or internal download. Its obvious that the RM was created with a software marketplace in mind, but its often used to host file downloads that will never change. There is no versioning.
Many sites that I know just host documents or link to external web pages. Once the entry is added, the entry does not change ever. In such case there is no use for a version tab or a version string.

Please add a category option to disable versioning.This would disable:
  • Version string
  • Version tab
  • Post Resource Update tab / function / sidebar link
  • Last version sidebar block
  • Last update date in information block in sidebar.

I am not 100% sure if this request should be considered a suggestion or a bug, because showing the version tab and version for entries that have no versioning, results in confusing users with mandatory functions that they can do nothing with. Some users will just give up in frustration.

There have been quite a few questions and requests for this feature. Here is one example that attracted 11 votes:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/can-version-string-in-resources-be-removed.47462/

Last edited:
Upvote 17
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This suggestion gets my like. I can see the use of making those permissions based on each categories.

Versioning can be disabled in XFRM2. Note that updates and versioning are independent concepts. For example, even if you choose not to expose versioning, a file can still be updated or a tutorial can be expanded. These are situations where posting updates still makes sense.

I have an addon under development for XF1.5 that removes versioning from XFRM.

A bit late, but FWIW you probably don't really need an add-on, just remove anything referencing version_string from:

• resource_history
  • resource_list_item
  • resource_review
  • resource_version_delete
  • resource_view
  • resource_view_header
  • search_result_resource
  • search_result_resource_update
Then change all of the version_string "text" fields to "hidden" with a value of "0" or something (not 100% sure if these fields are required or not, but if they are having that default value on the hidden field will satisfy it) in these templates:

• resource_add
  • resource_version_add
And if you want to completely disable posting new updates and just require that the user edits the existing resource fields you can just remove the links to post a new version and edit resource_version_add to delete the forum then add a meta html redirect on the page for anyone that does try to go directly to the link

Top Bottom