1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Cannot upload avatars or attachments

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Spleen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Spleen

Spleen Member

Hello, members can no longer upload avatars or attachments (Happened to me last week as well although I put it down to me being hamfisted) and I have no error logs. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 20.11.22.png

2. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Change permissions on these two folders to 0777.

data
    internal_data

3. Spleen

Spleen Member

Thanks AndyB, apologies for the stupid question but where do I find those?

4. Spleen

Spleen Member

I've changed the permissions but it's still not working:

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 08.57.15.png

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

What Andy failed to do was to direct you to recursively chmod the /data and /internal_data directory (which will catch all files/folders below them also). Try that.

6. Spleen

Spleen Member

Um, sorry but I'm a complete newbie at this so I don't really understand what you mean. Could you break it down for me? Thanks!

7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

You have to go into each one of those directories (/data and /internal_data) and make sure all the files/folders under them are also 777 permissions. It's easier if you have shell access, but I'm sure that there is a panel ability to recursively change them in cPanel file manager.

8. Spleen

Spleen Member

Ok, thanks.

9. Spleen

Spleen Member

I've manually changed to 0777 and still nothing. Any other ideas?

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is it for all file types, or just images?

Is it for large files, or any size?

11. Spleen

Spleen Member

Hi Brogan. At the moment it's for images of any size and all types, I haven't tried a text file though.

12. Brogan

Can you try a text file as that should help to identify whether it is a general uploading issue, or related to the image processor.

If it was previously working though and you haven't changed anything, you may want to contact your host to check if anything has changed on the server.

13. Spleen

Spleen Member

Just tried a pdf and that's failed as well. This all randomly happened last Thurs/Fri.

14. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There could also be something on the server blocking the request. Try turning off the Flash uploader in your preferences to see if that makes a difference.

15. Brogan

If it started suddenly then I would recommend contacting your host as something must have changed on the server.

16. Spleen

Spleen Member

I turned off the Flash Uploader but still no luck. Have sent an email to my host. Thanks chaps.

17. Spleen

Spleen Member

Just discovered I can't upload to the gallery either. Sheesh.

18. Spleen

Spleen Member

Well, I'm at a loss. Hosts say nothing wrong and I can't find anything in XF to turn on/off. Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

19. Brogan

Just to follow up on this, it looks like it's related to a change the host made, even though they claim they changed nothing :rolleyes:

Uploads are being rejected by the server as it "Probably contains viruses or Trojans that may harm your website.".
    In addition, "Do not attempt to upload it again as your IP address will be blocked .".

Righto.

Tracy Perry and Spleen like this.
  20. Spleen

Spleen Member

Brogan, thanks for your time and effort on this - much appreciated.

Steve F and Brogan like this.