1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Issue "Cannot insert a message in the middle of a discussion."

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by huts, Jul 27, 2011.

1. huts

huts Member

This happened today, I had just moved the board from another server yesterday, though it wasn't the first time I'd done it, last time was 100% successful.

Anyway, when trying to reply to a couple threads, there was an error, went to the server error logs and found this:

Error Info
    XenForo_Exception: Cannot insert a message in the middle of a discussion. - library/XenForo/DataWriter/DiscussionMessage.php:392
    Generated By: Darq, 5 minutes ago
    Stack Trace
    #0 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/DataWriter/DiscussionMessage.php(325): XenForo_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage->_setPosition()
    #1 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1331): XenForo_DataWriter_DiscussionMessage->_preSave()
    #2 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(464): XenForo_DataWriter->preSave()
    #3 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(310): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionAddReply()
    #4 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #5 /var/www/html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #6 {main
    Request State
    array(3) {
      ["url"] => string(68) "http://monstercraft.net/threads/my-arctic-observatory.2070/add-reply"
      ["_GET"] => array(0) {
      ["_POST"] => array(8) {
        ["message_html"] => string(8) "<p>a</p>"
        ["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(59) "http://monstercraft.net/threads/my-arctic-observatory.2070/"
        ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "806d068ea3f7f1deba8cc885d4affd2b"
        ["last_date"] => string(10) "1311728280"
        ["_xfToken"] => string(53) "2,1311720900,a84647ad4abcef0501a4e93e8525424f99d70b88"
        ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(36) "/threads/my-arctic-observatory.2070/"
        ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
        ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
    The web server is configured exactly the same as it was on last installation, running same Xenforo version as before (1.0.4), dunno what may have caused this at all. I did however forget to set the system clock right until after the board was up, I'm thinking that may have been a reason for the error.

Anyhow, I deleted the threads that this was happening to me on, and the issue hasn't popped up since, just thought I'd share!
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like it could be the reason.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Indeed - the server time was different. It would resolve itself after the new server's time caught up.